Option For A Tuneup

Hey, I have the 1995 GS300 here and want to do a tuneup. I would like to know what brands of parts I should use and the brands that I should stay away from. Also, possible suggestions for an upgrade to the stock OEM wires, cap, coil, and plugs. Basically, as for those parts to start off with, what is your suggestions on what to get, what works great, and what doesnt.

There are no real options to the factory parts - they are very good indeed. And you should not require a coil as they either work or they don't. Factory plugs are Denso, maybe NGK. Best there is.

There are no real options to the factory parts - they are very good indeed. And you should not require a coil as they either work or they don't. Factory plugs are Denso, maybe NGK. Best there is.

I am experiencing intermittent misfiring which can get very bad, then go totally away. I am not sure what it is and want to know if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to resolve it.

Well it would have helped if you had mentioned the misfire in the first place....but an intermittent misfire could be a bad plug wire shorting to ground and then not, or a cracked distributor cap and or a bad rotor.

If you can find someone with an ignition oscilloscope then it should be an easy fix without having to throw parts at it.

Diagnose first, then replace parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Plug leads do occasionally break down and moisture can cause the high tension to track to earth, causing a misfire. Coils do also occasionally go bad but it isn't common with denso gear. On my 99 GS 300 each of the 3 coils serves 2 cylinders so a bad coil would affect both and the do usually (but not always) fail entirely. It would be very noticeable. My leads have done 145,000 miles and are still good. My Denso plugs have done 90,000 and are still doing well but it is really time for new ones.

I wouldn't replace plugs with anything other than Denso or NGK (I use NGK for my race engines).

I wouldn't replace the coils unless they were proven to be faulty.

As for the leads....high quality aftermarket silicone leads appear to be as good as OEM and usually a lot less expensive. They must be top quality ones from a reputable manufacturer.

I don't have a distributor cap but OEM would be best.