What Is A Better Deal 1992 W/70,000Miles Or 1996 W/170,000?

I have the opportunity to buy 1 of 2 SC400s which are for sale.... and I'd appreciate your recommendation.

1992 with 70,000 miles - asking $10,000 (in very good condition, no parts/timing belt changed, only A/C conversion done)

OR

1996 with 170,000 miles - asking $5,500 (in very good condition, new alternator, battery, probably needs timing belt soon)

:wacko:

Please give me your input on which you believe will have less problems for the next 3-4 years ??? The 92 or 96 ???

Thanks

Only because of the price difference, the 1996.

$4500 difference is a LOT. The 1996 has updated styling and less "time" wear on parts. 170k miles for a 14yr old Lexus is still better than 70k miles on an 18yr old Lexus. The better price just adds to the better decision.

And the 96 is atleast ODB II. I'd get the 96.

If it were me it would be the 96. But be prepared to spend some money no matter which car you get. 170000 miles is going to need some work and the 92 with 70k on it will too. Is this going to be a daily driver?

Yup - this would be a daily driving car.

And actually, correction the 92 is really a 93 and it has only 60000 miles, plus only has 1 owner... AND my old SC is a 1992 so that would be handy ... is there that much of a preference for the 96 here ??

WELL, I DID - I BOUGHT THE 96 SC400 with 170,000 miles - and negotiated the dealer to replace WP + timing belt and total cost was $5995 ...

Hope this is a decent deal .... Just worried about the starter motor (fun to dig way back under the firewall to get to it - probably due anytime)

Thanks for the feedback and I hope this one lasts the same 300,000 miles like my '92 did !!