Suspension Pulsating / Thumpng When Lowering What's Causing

TheCat1

I have a 2007 LX470 and when I lowering the AHC suspension it frequently makes a rapid thumping or pulsating which is felt throughout the vehicle. I've had it in to my Lexus dealer for this problem on two occasions but each time they tell me they cannot find anything wrong with the suspension and cannot replicate the symptoms. It does not pulsate / thump every time it is lowered but most of the time it does but never when its at the dealer go figure. The vehicle has 31,000 miles on it and it has done this since new. I have never been off roading with it. I have carried considerable weight in the back when I've loaded the family and luggage and drove south for winter vacations and when I unloaded the vehicle the rear went quit high up until I restarted the vehicle and then it returned to normal height. I would appreciate any help in determining the cause for this problem and a remedy.

Thank you

Feel free to PM me if you have a solution I can take to my dealer

thecat_91@hotmail.com

get your drive-shaft lubed, as the vehicle lowers the drive-shaft compresses at the joint, if it is not lubed you will get the thumping effect through the vehicle.

It is common on these trucks.

I have a 2007 LX470 and when I lowering the AHC suspension it frequently makes a rapid thumping or pulsating which is felt throughout the vehicle. I've had it in to my Lexus dealer for this problem on two occasions but each time they tell me they cannot find anything wrong with the suspension and cannot replicate the symptoms. It does not pulsate / thump every time it is lowered but most of the time it does but never when its at the dealer go figure. The vehicle has 31,000 miles on it and it has done this since new. I have never been off roading with it. I have carried considerable weight in the back when I've loaded the family and luggage and drove south for winter vacations and when I unloaded the vehicle the rear went quit high up until I restarted the vehicle and then it returned to normal height. I would appreciate any help in determining the cause for this problem and a remedy.

Thank you

thecat_91@hotmail.com

get your drive-shaft lubed, as the vehicle lowers the drive-shaft compresses at the joint, if it is not lubed you will get the thumping effect through the vehicle.

It is common on these trucks.

Thank you

thecat_91@hotmail.com

Thank you for this info.

• 1 month later...

Thank you

thecat_91@hotmail.com

I also have a 2007 which does the same thumping/pulsating, and has since new. Like you, I also have about 30,000 miles. I've not ever taken it off-road, but I do pull a horse trailer.

I have found that this does NOT happen when I raise or lower the vehicle while moving slowly forward. It makes the height change smoothly and within a very short period of time. When raising or lowering while stopped, particularly with the parking brake engaged, it thumps as you describe. It also takes much longer to accomplish the height change. To compensate, I try to anticipate when I want to raise or lower the vehicle so I can do it as soon as I get below 10 mph and before the final stop. That's the only remedy I have found.

BTW, one of my heftier employees said that she was embarrassed when she was climbing into the middle seat, and felt the vehicle height raising under her as she entered to compensate for her weight. I learned to temporarily turn off the height control while loading her, just as the manual instructs you do do when you are connecting a trailer and gradually putting weight on the trailer hitch.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having my own bouts with the suspension system... bad accumulators, contaminated fluid, etc. etc.... but I don't seem to have passengers complaining about the height adjustments.... hmmmm, how hefty is she???? Thanks for the smile in my darkest (suspension related) hour...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...