Horrible Bumpy Ride

LeXusRaCiN

I have a 04 GX470 that bounces on every bump, dip, stone on the road, etc. It just got out of extended warranty. While it was under warranty I took it numerous times to the dealer and they said its "normal." Well now the problem has gotten alot worse. I like to drive with my head on the headrest and I just cant do it in this car because it gets thrown around too much. I had a slammed car before that drove 100 times better than this. Oh and also the steering has a shimmy too, if it could be a related problem. Any help would be appreciated or I'm gonna have to get rid of this. Thanks.

What is the position the Height Control Ride s/w. Which is placed close to your the Hand Brake lever. I have noticed this in GX, I do not know how many would agree, I have played with all the settings on the ride control s/w. If it is at the lowest, the suspension after a few minutes ride, automatically becomes very soft and cushy,( this is the softest ride . The next setting is a bit hard, but comfortable yet enough. The mid point where if selected, your ride as per the mfr is comfort, but yes you can feel this difference. The max is the Sport ride wherein the shock and Air Suspension becomes harder, wherein the compressor kicks to keep the pressure at bay with the hydraulics. This is a bit hard and you can feel it at the slightest faint road hump or bump.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 04 GX470 that bounces on every bump, dip, stone on the road, etc. It just got out of extended warranty. While it was under warranty I took it numerous times to the dealer and they said its "normal." Well now the problem has gotten alot worse. I like to drive with my head on the headrest and I just cant do it in this car because it gets thrown around too much. I had a slammed car before that drove 100 times better than this. Oh and also the steering has a shimmy too, if it could be a related problem. Any help would be appreciated or I'm gonna have to get rid of this. Thanks.

You might have a leak in the air ride suspension. The rubber bump stops might be resting on the rear end housing making the ride as rough as you say. You might need a new ride height sensor or two. If this is the case, just hit the "raise" button and go for a test drive and see if it's still rough. It will automatically go to the normal position after it hit 18 mph.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar issue with my 04 over a year ago. Turned out it was the switch on the console that sets the height adjustment. It was "thinking" that the car was in something other than neutral while driving, so kept adjusting the rear as we were driving. It felt like I was riding a horse trying to throw me. The dealer replaced the switch, and that completely solved the issue. It was not cheap, and not covered by the extended warranty because the switch is defined as an expendable part. But, it was sure nice to get the smooth ride back. Hope this helps!

• 10 years later...
On 10/23/2010 at 7:53 AM, ccj4 said:

I had a similar issue with my 04 over a year ago. Turned out it was the switch on the console that sets the height adjustment. It was "thinking" that the car was in something other than neutral while driving, so kept adjusting the rear as we were driving. It felt like I was riding a horse trying to throw me. The dealer replaced the switch, and that completely solved the issue. It was not cheap, and not covered by the extended warranty because the switch is defined as an expendable part. But, it was sure nice to get the smooth ride back. Hope this helps!

I've been experiencing same ride issue with my 2009 GX470. In the recent past, it was where when i would exercise the suspension, it would become somewhat comfy BUT now, no matter how much i exercise, the ride is very bumpy. One side of the vehicle is slightly lower than the other side. 

Yesterday i noticed that my suspension control switch is a bit warm/hot to touch, which has never happened in the past. I am thinking its also my switch thats causing problem? I just dont wanna go through the process of elimination with these things