Steering Wheel "hum":

Lexusfreak

When I'm driving (or just at idle) and turing the steering wheel, I hear a faint "humming" sound coming from the steering column. It's not loud by any means, but can get annoying.......just sounds like some parts or wires are rubbing together when you turn the steering wheel. Anybody have a similar experence &/or know what it is & how to correct it? I was thinking of spraying some lubricant in the steering column area kinda thing. Advice? :unsure:

:cheers:

Humming? I've been having a "creaking" noise when steering clockwise in my car. I've already brought the car in 5 times for this issue.

The first time, they replaced a "clock spring."

The second time lubricated some rubber boot.

The third time they thought it was a rack and pinion gear, so they ordered one. The fourth time they replaced the rack and pinion gear.

This time they believe they've pinpointed it to the U-joints in the steering column. They say they've replaced them. I'm picking it up later today, so we'll see if it's finally fixed.

One of many minor issues I've had with my 04 ES. I've been at the dealership far too often. All of the service consultants know me by name.

Thanks for the feedback ob & drop......yes the power steering fluid is right up & actually has brand new fluid (the same noise was happening before the fluid was changed). I'm leaning towards something in the steering column needs lubrication as the steering feels fine & you don't hear the noise under the hood, just in the passenger compartment when turing the wheel either way.

:cheers: