Re-Using Head Gasket

j3ffr3y

Hey guys, I have a 93 ES300 3V. I just replaced the head gaskets, along with some others. After installing all of it, I realized that no.5 cylinder had no compression. Long story short, it was a stuck valve, which I fixed. I had to take the head back off again but have still not started the car. I was wondering that since I haven't cranked/started the car, can I use the same head gasket that is still new?

I know that these things are not cheap to buy, but I would advise against it. You are going to kick yourself if you have to tear the engine down again to replace the head gasket in another 1000 miles if it goes again. Headgaskets are a one time use item. You've already torqued it flat once. I'm not a licensed mechanic, so you may want to speak with someone who is. Maybe I'm wrong and you could save yourself some money. Good Luck!

That is an emphatic NO!, once its been compressed it cannot be reused,,, you can try it if you like but the integrity of the gasket has been compromised... been turning wrenches over 55 years professionally and as hobby...it mite work just fine but it mite not.... not worth the risk.....

capn