Tire/rim Warranty

Hi,

I just bought a 2010 IS 250 AWD and I am picking it up next week. The finance guy was trying to sell me a 5 year $699 warranty on the tires and rims. He was telling me that since these are low profile tires that they can easily get a bubble or a blowout and the rims can be damaged. It will cover the replacement of tires and rims for 5 years no limit.

My wife was interested but I have been driving for over 20 years and have never had a damaged rim from a pothole or curb. When you purchase tires from Costco they give you a tire warranty for free and other places usually charge you $10 a tire. It seems like a ripoff.

Are these vehicles susceptible to this damage? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Yes,the tires are susceptible to damage, but you are right...this "LEXUS PREMIER ROAD COVERAGE INSURANCE" is a rip-off! I bought it (60 months tire and wheel complete" from my Lexus finance guy when I purchased my IS250, only to find out that the coverage is null and void if you buy your tires from someone else! They didn't mention, nor did I see in my contract, that you had to keep buying your tires from LEXUS! Who buys tires from the dealer??? Especially when you can find better prices elsewhere!

I forgot to mention that the insuring company (AUTOMOBILE PROFESSIONALS INC) was no longer servicing my policy (for whatever reason) and they referred me to my dealership for services....and then THEY told me I had to have bought the tires from them to file a claim! Arrrrgh! So D-O-N-E!!

Please....don't waste your money. So not worth it!

Potholes will definitely damage your tires (not the rims). I did buy an insurance at Discout Tire (they covered all 4 new tires of my new IS250 charging $99). During the last 3 years I had to change 2 tires exactly because of damages and paid nothing. The insurance was worth it

Hi,

I just bought a 2010 IS 250 AWD and I am picking it up next week. The finance guy was trying to sell me a 5 year $699 warranty on the tires and rims. He was telling me that since these are low profile tires that they can easily get a bubble or a blowout and the rims can be damaged. It will cover the replacement of tires and rims for 5 years no limit.

My wife was interested but I have been driving for over 20 years and have never had a damaged rim from a pothole or curb. When you purchase tires from Costco they give you a tire warranty for free and other places usually charge you $10 a tire. It seems like a ripoff.

Are these vehicles susceptible to this damage? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Yes having "low" profile tires can be the the cause for bent and cracked rims when you hit pot holes or curbs. Less space between the tire and the rim creates a whole hell of a lot less room for error. Less air space means its very easy for whatever you hit to then hit the rim and either dent or crack it. I have seen it plenty so beware!!!

Unfortunately yes. In 8000 miles we had to replace 3 tires due to potholes. I know Costco has the warranty, but how many times will they be willing to replace for free??? The roads to Hoboken did us in.

The OEM tires are about $250 per. I did have a blowout on one tire. Rim was fine, but I had to buy a new tire.

The dealer wouldn't be offering this if they weren't making a boatload of money off of it--I'd pass.