97 Ls400 Power Steering Leeking And Smokes When Started

MIKEM29

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY MY POWER STEERING LEAKS AND SMOKES WHEN STARTED, TAKE NOTE IT IS NOT BURNING OIL. ALSO I DO NOT SEE ANY PUDDLES UNDER THE CAR. ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

The idle up air valve (PS ACV, or power steering air control valve) in the PS pump is leaking. PS fluid leaks into the vacuum line and eventually into intake manifold, hence the white smoke. Many posts on this. Either replace the PS Pump, just the air valve on the pump, or eliminate the air-valve with a plug on the PS pump (many feel the valve doesn't perform a useful function so just eliminate it and the leak). Don't confuse PS ACV with IACV which is completely different but sometime miss quoted for this ailment.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY MY POWER STEERING LEAKS AND SMOKES WHEN STARTED, TAKE NOTE IT IS NOT BURNING OIL. ALSO I DO NOT SEE ANY PUDDLES UNDER THE CAR. ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

The idle up air valve (PS ACV, or power steering air control valve) in the PS pump is leaking. PS fluid leaks into the vacuum line and eventually into intake manifold, hence the white smoke. Many posts on this. Either replace the PS Pump, just the air valve on the pump, or eliminate the air-valve with a plug on the PS pump (many feel the valve doesn't perform a useful function so just eliminate it and the leak). Don't confuse PS ACV with IACV which is completely different but sometime miss quoted for this ailment.

DO YOU NOW WHERE I COULD FIND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CAP IT, I REALLY HATE THE WHOLE SMOKE THING.....

Figure it out. I gave you ample information. Short of coming over to do it for you maybe you could invest an ounce of effort and search this forum for the detailed instructions which as I said previously are common... There are probably 30+ threads on this. I have better things to do than search for you and spoon feed you the step by step instructions.

And turn off the ^%$%#% CAPS!!!!

Using caps is the equivalent of shouting at someone,new members are welcomed in general but an attitude will get you very little help,I could very easily provide a link to a website which would show you where the problem is and how to fix it but your complete lack of respect to other members has persuaded me not to.

My only advice is to go into your nearest Lexus dealer,then shout and demand they fix your car immediately and pay them $2500 for doing the job.