Tail Light Cover

lje15

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and hope someone can help. How do you remove the tail light cover (or lens) on a 2009 RX 350? I see that when the hatch is open, there is a long black strip with screws on top and bottom. Does that have to be removed, and if so, does it pull off once the srews are removed?

Thanks

Do you need to remove the lamp on the rear 1/4 panel? Or the ones on the tailgate itself?

If the ones on the 1/4 panel, you don't need to remove the black plastic piece on the outside. You need to remove the lamp via 3 10mm nuts from behind. Open the tailgate, and you'll notice behind the lamp there's a panel that needs to be removed. When removed, you'll notice 3 screws sticking out from behind the lamp- just remove the nuts.

Do you need to remove the lamp on the rear 1/4 panel? Or the ones on the tailgate itself?

If the ones on the 1/4 panel, you don't need to remove the black plastic piece on the outside. You need to remove the lamp via 3 10mm nuts from behind. Open the tailgate, and you'll notice behind the lamp there's a panel that needs to be removed. When removed, you'll notice 3 screws sticking out from behind the lamp- just remove the nuts.

No problem, just make sure not to drop the nuts after they're loosened, as getting them out of the annex of the lower cabin is nearly impossible. :rolleyes:

Is there "maneuver" room when you take off the nuts, or is it easier to drop them??? :))

Have another question. Is the rubber gasket around the rim of the hatch supposed to be glued down? Mine appears to be loose at the top corner.

There's a little room to get the nuts off, just loosen them with a 10mm socket, and hand loosen them from there. And for the rubber gasket, i'm not sure... Can you take a pic? I can compare.

CDULUK,

In reference to my question about the weatherstripping: I was going past a Lexus dealer and decided to stop in and ask them about it. They said that while there is some glue, It's not glued tight because of expansion-contraction. So I don't really have a problem. Just wanted to let you know.

CDULUK,

In reference to my question about the weatherstripping: I was going past a Lexus dealer and decided to stop in and ask them about it. They said that while there is some glue, It's not glued tight because of expansion-contraction. So I don't really have a problem. Just wanted to let you know.

Ohhh good to know. <_<