K&n Filters For The Ls

99lsguy

One of the first items I replaced when I got my 99 LS this summer was the Air Filter.

Put on a K&N (E2606) due to my brother's recommendation - he has 96 Vette!

Just wondered how many of LOC"ers use these filters (air , fuel, or oil) and how you feel about their performance/advantages, etc.

I have no baseline to test against it cause I put on in first thing but I do get excellent mileage on the hwy (27-28+ mpg).

I just knock the dust off and rotate it every oil change (5K). It always collects the most dirt on the BOTTOM of the Filter. I noticed the same "dirt collection pattern" on the OEM paper filter that I took off in the first place.

Thanks for your expertise......

i have people telling me that those filters are great. some of them got whole assembly with the ECU that connects between the MFS and ECU but none of those people drive lexus.:) K&N should be a good brand but me personally not ready to give up my assembly with original OEM filters which i change every 10k. but this is just me. my friend with GS has some kind os super filter but i dont think its K&N and he paid around 400$ for it

i use the K&N filter for the my 1uzfe as well. i didn't feel much of a difference, but im sure it's there just by visually comparing the old fram one with the K&N filter. i actually heard K&N filters decrease gas mileage since more air goes in, more fuel goes in as well.

when you say you have a K&N air filter. do you mean the filter that fits in the factory air box, or the cone filter that u attach to the intake hose and you have to remove the stock air box? i was actually looking for a cone filter for better breathing, but i haven't seen one for an LS. i also wandered if you remove the stock air box and put the cone on if that would mess up the computer in some way in reference to air/fuel. and cause the car to die or idle low.

when you say you have a K&N air filter. do you mean the filter that fits in the factory air box, or the cone filter that u attach to the intake hose and you have to remove the stock air box?  i was actually looking for a cone filter for better breathing, but i haven't seen one for an LS. i also wandered if you remove the stock air box and put the cone on if that would mess up the computer in some way in reference to air/fuel. and cause the car to die or idle low.

Sorry about that silvermate,

It does fit in the factory air box like a stock OEM paper filter.

However is does have a "tapered cone" shape in the design with a flat, round, plastic front. About 9" around at the base, then tapers to maybe 6". Heres a link but doesn't have photo..........

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/pro...spx?Prod=E-2606

I've considered finding a old airbox at junkyard that I could 'cut' open to allow more air and see what it does.......

Don't want to mess with the original - I want a backup! :lol:

Well....

More air and gas going in results in more HP at a lower RPM. Lower RPM, less friction.

But we're talking about 3% difference with and without the K&N.

The OEM filter only becomes functionally restrictive to airflow at max RPM and WOT and even than the restriction is only about 6 to 7% reduction in airflow versus a completely open intake. So the only possible airflow efficiency improvement in intake airflow is in the range of 3 to 4%. Touted as a ~50% improvement in the opinion of K&N with respect to that 7% restriction limitation.

You're also taken the quite serious chance that the oil wicked from the K&N by the airflow will redeposit, contaminate, the MAFS and that will eventually result in a mixture screw-up with an engine diagnostic and likely oxygen sensor failure.

Additionally I guess I have always thought that Lexus buyers/owners were of a brighter breed, generally, and would recognize the K&N scam for what it is.

Never too old to learn something new.

You're also taken the quite serious chance that the oil wicked from the K&N by the airflow will redeposit, contaminate, the MAFS and that will eventually result in a mixture screw-up with an engine diagnostic and likely oxygen sensor failure.

Additionally I guess I have always thought that Lexus buyers/owners were of a brighter breed, generally, and would recognize the K&N scam for what it is.

Never too old to learn something new.

wwest,

I was looking for an answer on the "oil redeposits on MAFS" but didn't mention it so as not to "skew" any responses. I had heard that before so I am a little concerned.

What I have noticed this winter is a "soft, high pitched hum" as I slow down to a stop in the LS - and was considering this K&N Air Filter as a possible culprit. It may happen because of COLD AIR temp. - I'm hoping for a 45 degree day this weekend so I can listen again.

I never thought the K&N would be anything super special, just a slightly better product than ordinary filters.

thanks 99. so u have the conical air filter that fits in the oem box?? the good thing about the K&N filter is that u can use it forever with the recharger kit. so it could save u money in the long run as well as a little better performance and gas mileage i assume. This doesn't apply to the LS but i had a 97 Eclipse turbo with an ice-man cold air intake that used the conical filter, and let me tell u when i creaped that think up to 3K RPM and then stomped it it screamed like a scalded ape. i mean it was loud, u could here the air sucking in for about 3 blocks away, but that was also with a 4 cylinder engine, i don't think the V8 would make that kinda sound, nor do i want that kind of sound coming from a lexus.

This doesn't apply to the LS but i had a 97 Eclipse turbo with an ice-man cold air intake that used the conical filter, and let me tell u when i creaped that think up to 3K RPM and then stomped it it screamed like a scalded ape. i mean it was loud, u could here the air sucking in for about 3 blocks away, but that was also with a 4 cylinder engine, i don't think the V8 would make that kinda sound, nor do i want that kind of sound coming from a lexus.

Silvermate,

I hit the floor laughing so hard............thanks for the description :lol:

I've punched the LS only once, going about 30 mph on the accleration ramp. I could hear it "hoggin the air" but was really quite smooth. Got up to 80 mph in a jiffy.

thanks,

Tried K&N Filter (the one that replaces the original filter) in my 94 LS and in my 98 LS. If anything, I think it lowered the milage slightly. I have removed it and put original filter back in. Use the K&N in my wife's 99 Pathfinder and have seen a increase in her gas milage. I think I will stick with the original equipment filter in the LS.

K&N and incresed gas mileage....

If you have certain types of MAFS then once it's coated with oil from the K&N it will show, falsely, decreased intake airflow causing the mixture to be lean and very soon you will be replacing oxygen sensor and MAFS.

Over-oiling the K&N filter element can cause some MAF's to become contaminated. This is especially true with the hot wire MAF's, but most have a burn-off cycle designed to clean them which will prevent this. The early LS engines use a vibrating mirror and not a hot-wire. I have no idea how the K&N oil would effect them. No amount of filter oil will be sufficient to damage the convertor or one of the O2 sensors - they are more robust than that.

The big thing is to oil the filter element as K&N describes.

The stock replacement element will not provide any power improvement. There is no dyno data to support that from lots of other cars. The FIPK system that K&N makes replaces the intake tract to the MAF and that can improve power. I have used both, and that has been my experience.

One car I purchased had so much K&N oil in the bottom of the airbox that it had puddled. The engine had a small hesitation which cleared up after I put a stock paper element in, wiped out the oil, and drove the hell out the engine for a bit. Whether the oil caused the hesitation or not I don't know, but there was no damage in any event.

99lsguy, sorry i havent came back to this topic since i'm still having trouble with the starter. but here ya go buddy: planetsoarer.com <---go under BFI. it's better than ANY intake out there and it costs 10 bucks to make

• 7 months later...