Need Help With Feeling A Jerk When Sitting At Idle In Drive

DocJohn

I have a 2006 GX470. After stopping at a light/stop sign etc, I feel a jerk. It usually happens when the A/C is on but I have occassionally felt it with it off. It does not happen all the time but happens enough to be concerned. I have the drive train warranty still left but not sure if that is my issue. Is it an engine issue, a/c issue or possibly a brake issue since the it will do this occasionally without the a/c on? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

I have a 2006 GX470. After stopping at a light/stop sign etc, I feel a jerk. It usually happens when the A/C is on but I have occassionally felt it with it off. It does not happen all the time but happens enough to be concerned. I have the drive train warranty still left but not sure if that is my issue. Is it an engine issue, a/c issue or possibly a brake issue since the it will do this occasionally without the a/c on? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

I have been having the same issue...... it's not all the time and it does not matter if the AC is on or not. I have 55,000 miles on mine and it's a 2006 also. I will probably bring it up at the next service appt.

Hope someone has some input on it in the meantime.

Thanks

Carol

Carol,

I have 34,000 miles on my GX and i just can't imagine it is something too serious but you never know. I do wonder if it is the weight of the car ase well that may contribute to the issue. Let me know what the dealer says.

Take care

John

Carol,

I have 34,000 miles on my GX and i just can't imagine it is something too serious but you never know. I do wonder if it is the weight of the car ase well that may contribute to the issue. Let me know what the dealer says.

Take care

John

It sounds like your problem may be the clunk issue. Refer to the sticky thread on the top of this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've felt a similar thing. It feels like the transmission is either locking or unlocking the torque converter while idling at a stop light. Since the normal maintenance doesn't call for fluid replacement I wasn't sure what to do. My local independent shop recommended flushing the fluid. I had it done and the shifting and operation seem much smoother. I have 117,000 miles so this may have helped a while ago. Take home message, even though 2004 model didn't call for trams flush, it helps and hopefully will prolong trans life.

• 1 year later...

This is definitely the "clunk" issue, not the tranny, and not the air suspension. Refer to the sticky thread about the clunk and your dealership should be able to assist you on this matter.