Low Fuel Warning Light

Hush

I have an 07 350 ES. As we all know, it has an 18.5 gallon tank and the fuel warning light illuminates at (roughly) 2.8 gallons remaining. Recently the light came on and the "miles remaining" indicated 6 miles. I filled the tank with 17.1 gallons, meaning I had (roughly) 1.4 gallons remaining when the information display indicated 6 miles of fuel remaining. Since I'm a new owner of a previously owned 350, I'm trying to gauge how many miles I really have when the fuel light illuminates. Obviously, I'm not trying to run out of gas, just trying the gauge the system. Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks-

Hush

I have an 07 350 ES. As we all know, it has an 18.5 gallon tank and the fuel warning light illuminates at (roughly) 2.8 gallons remaining. Recently the light came on and the "miles remaining" indicated 6 miles. I filled the tank with 17.1 gallons, meaning I had (roughly) 1.4 gallons remaining when the information display indicated 6 miles of fuel remaining. Since I'm a new owner of a previously owned 350, I'm trying to gauge how many miles I really have when the fuel light illuminates. Obviously, I'm not trying to run out of gas, just trying the gauge the system. Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks-

Hush

Hi Hush,

I have not had a similar experience but there have been similar post before, asking the same type of questions. For those like you who like precision and exactness, your not going to be able to find it when rying to pin down what it says in the readout verus what goes in your tank. The same is true when trying to reconcile avg. miles per gal. with the computer readout vs. gallons you put in your tank. However, showing "6 miles remaining" on the miles left range read out when the low fuel light comes on is a new one. Did you think about filling up before it said 6 miles remaining or did the gas gauge show a 1/4 tank or more?

I reset the trip meter once the "miles to emtpy" gets to zero - then I know how far I've got left from the last gallon in the tank (about 50 miles)

We bought an 07 ES a few months ago. Yes, the light comes on way too soon IMO. Once it comes on I usually have a Range of 0 miles, but I can drive another day to work no problem which is a 30 mile round trip. Basically, once the light comes on I re-fill within a day or so, better to not drain the tank too low. But it comes on ridiculously early when the needle still have a few millimeters to go to E.

I don't know, call me crazy, but why not just stop and put gas in the tank when the neddle gets low. I never was comfortable playing chicken with a nearly empty tank, wether its 2 gallon or 1.5.

Paul

I agree. You also have the added issue that the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel running through it, if you run the tank too low you run the risk of having it overheat and shortening its life.

Whats the difference? I always refuel when the range gets down to about 50 miles.