Residue On Radio And Dash

Well, for the plastic lenses, you can use rubbing compound (which will definitely remove the spots) but you want to avoid getting it on the surrounding painted plastic, as rubbing will make it shiny and remove the paint. So you may want to mask off the areas adjacent to the clear lenses before you rub with rubbing compound. For a compound, i would recommend Meguiar's "Ultimate Compound". Just rub a little on the plastic with a cotton rag.

For the plastic sides, i really don't know what to suggest... It appears that whatever that spray is, etched itself to the paint. If alcohol didn't work, i'm not sure what will. If you rub with any types of compounds, you'll just remove the paint. :(

Alright, I just completely messed up my display, it melted the plastic on the display in spots. Is there any way to fix this?

img3184gy.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OH NO!! Let me guess, you used a dremel... :wacko:

When i read intakerGS's comment suggesting using a dremel, the first thought that popped into my head was "NO, it can burn too easily". Then i saw your pics... :(

The dremel is a good tool but NOT for polishing. The little 2" diameter polishing wheels create a TON of heat while spinning even at a VERY low speed, creating more than enough to burn right through plastic. I learned this lesson the hard way too. The dremel polisher should only be used to get out deep scratches or sandpaper marks, as it's incredibly aggressive. For the spots you had, simply rubbing the area with a cotton rag with a little compound would have done the trick.

Unfortunately at this point there's nothing you can really do. It appears from the pic that the burns are deep, probably close to half way through the thickness of the plastic. You could "try" to wetsand and polish the burns out, but you'd need to remove the plastic lenses from the radio and do it properly, and my guess is that it'll result in waviness and the plastic will become too thin and crack. You could also buy some plexiglass and cut out a duplicate piece, but it'd be nearly impossible to match the thickness and curvature of the original lens, and matching the black trim would be pretty hard...

My suggestion would be to replace the entire radio unit, either a used one from ebay or from somewhere else... There's a member on this site, username "dcfish", contact him, as he gets a lot of these types of parts for pretty cheap.

If you can, take some daytime pics and post them here. If the burns are concentrated towards only the center of the screen, you might be able to get away with wetsanding. If the burns are less than a cm away from the sides, it'll be tight though... But post some day shots and i'll give you my best guess.

Sorry that happened... but trust me, it could be worse. :(

well we all learn the hard way.... :wacko:

so is there a way just to remove the lenses?

can I get just replacement lenses?

I was looking at these, but it doesn't give part numbers or part information

http://www.partswebsite.com/oemlexusparts/?i=2&make=134&model=2230&year=2007&catid=30174&subcatid=32985&section=123&type=parts

http://www.partswebsite.com/oemlexusparts/?i=2&make=134&model=2230&year=2007&catid=30174&subcatid=32985&section=123&type=parts

Hmm... I'm not sure. I have no idea what the lenses are on that site.

Hmm... I'm not sure. I have no idea what the lenses are on that site.

Took it to Lexus this morning. I need part 55901C. If anyone can help me find one cheaper than $400 please let me know

Hmm, i can't tell either. Can you call your Lexus dealer and ask which part number it is? If you give them your VIN# they'll be able to tell you the one your car needs.

D*rn, I really feel bad about this.. I'm sorry, RegionalPilot.

- I should have mentioned to use a dremel with a variable rpm and set it to the lowest setting (but then one should still need to practice on something old).

- I shouldn't adviced this to someone who has never done this before.

RegionalPilot:

PM me if you get the parts as I'm willing to pay for some amount of the damage.

• 2 months later...

- I should have mentioned to use a dremel with a variable rpm and set it to the lowest setting (but then one should still need to practice on something old).

- I shouldn't adviced this to someone who has never done this before.

RegionalPilot:

PM me if you get the parts as I'm willing to pay for some amount of the damage.

I appreciate your concern and help. It costs me a few bucks to replace the radio but it was my choice. I am looking for more help though. I need to replace my clock on the bottom part of the radio...can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can get a decently price piece?

You know that is great that you offered to help out intaker. It is what makes LOC great people that actually try to help out! :cheers:

Do you wanna try taking it off with rubbing compound just using a cotton cloth and your hands? I promise it can't do any harm. Just mask off the surrounding pieces on the radio, apply some rubbing compound (3M scratch remover or ultimate compound) on a cotton cloth or T-shirt, and rub in little circles. It should do the trick.

Do you wanna try taking it off with rubbing compound just using a cotton cloth and your hands? I promise it can't do any harm. Just mask off the surrounding pieces on the radio, apply some rubbing compound (3M scratch remover or ultimate compound) on a cotton cloth or T-shirt, and rub in little circles. It should do the trick.

Alright I'll give that a shot.

Does anyone know where I can a trim piece for my radio. The part that is on the outside around the radio?

Alright I'll give that a shot.

Does anyone know where I can a trim piece for my radio. The part that is on the outside around the radio?

Anyone?

Oh that's not that bad... have you tried ebay?

As Cduluk mentioned, try "dcfish". He can usually find most things Lexus audio.

Paul (sorry to but in?)

Yea, nothing that I could find. Problem is, on that site that I linked you too, I'm not sure which one to order. I know it's part number 55901 but I don't know what dashed number it corresponds with.