04 Gx470 Problem

haljohky

2004 GX470 with 102K miles. VSC, Trac, and check engine light came on this morning. Took to autozone with troubleshooting code showing P0031.

Any ideas???

I'm not exactly sure what that code stands for, but take it to your Lexus dealer and they can easily fix that. I had the same problem happen to me last year but I can't recall what the problem with mine was.

• 2 weeks later...

2004 GX470 with 102K miles. VSC, Trac, and check engine light came on this morning. Took to autozone with troubleshooting code showing P0031.

Any ideas???

Had the same thing happen but not sure if that was the code that I had. It had something to do with the gas cap not being tight or a sensor in the gas tank.

The Code P0031 is related to the Oxygen Sensor Charcoal Canister ( located on the mouth of the Exhaust closer to the Engine, or the charcoal canister ( Located below the Fuel Tank hose).

What you needto do is probably go below the vehicle rear Remove the Spare tire wheel, You will see a Purge hose to the tank and to the side are the Fuel tank hose push the connector to the inside. Now pinch a bit of the hose, And remove the connector, Just blow the connectors and reconnect or use a CRC spray. Now to the right is the VSV connector, remove with the same procedure and have it refitted. Tighten the Gas Cap.

Check it out by Disconnecting the battery and have them reconected, this will ensure to remove from the ECU memory. Start your Car, hoping the Christmas light are gone.

Now if they are still existing, Now you need to target the Oxygen Sensors, Normally they are replaced as a pair.

hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Any ideas???

Oxygen sensor located on exhaust manifild. Just has the same issue with my 2004 with 62K miles. Was approx $350 for parts and labor (split 50/50) when done by Lexus dealership.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. There is another post about this too that is older. Any way I have a 2004 GX 470 and the 3 Christmas lights came on while I was driving 75mph and heard and felt a big down shift. My overdrive was disabled. I immediately exited the highway and called Lexus dealer. They ask me if I just fueled up. In fact I did 100 miles ago. So they explained the whole gas cap issue.

Other threads mentioned to look under the vehicle and tightened a hose of some sort.

This is how I fixed it. Took the gas cap off and inspected it to make sure it was not damaged, then put it back on. Then I disconnected the positive lead of the car's battery (10mm) for 20 seconds and then reconnected it. Disconnecting the battery will reset the CPU. The lights went off and now I have Overdrive back.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I take my last post back. The three Christmas light came back. I finally got a hold of a ECM reader and the code is P0778 which is different. However I have the same lights up as if it were P0031. This is why I now encourage everyone to get the code reading before assuming anything.