Drivers Side Front Door Lock Sometimes Doesn't Work - Thoughts?

I bought a 97 ES300 last week and overall I think it's in pretty good condition for it's age. I initially had an issue where the seat belts didn't fully retract... but a quick search on this forum and I found that I had to clean that little mount that goes on the pillar to get rid of all the gunk stuck in it. Once I cleaned that out, the seat belts retracted like they should. Awesome 5 minute fix at no cost.

However, I have another problem I'm trying to fix. My drivers side door doesn't always lock or unlock using the remote. It works most of the time, but every once and a while, it won't lock if I try to arm the alarm. Sitting in the car, I can see that the lock attempts to lock itself. It moves a little but doesn't move enough to actually lock.

All the other doors work just like they should.

Before I go and purchase an lock attenuator (or whatever they're called), I thought I'd check here and see what I could try checking first. Is there a way to clean the lock itself? Maybe due to it's age it just needs a good cleaning? Or maybe the connection isn't 100%? I know the old owner replaced the inside panel... so maybe he didn't properly connect everything and every once and a while the connection becomes loose causing my issue?

I'm with you on this one. While the lock actuator may be weak, its cause may be a corroded electrical connector, or a dirty or corroded lock assembly that's all gunked up. After all, it is a 14 year old car. (Our first Lexus was a 97. What a sweet ride she was!)

If she were mine I'd pull the inner door panel and the thin plastic weather shield underneath, and explore all of those possibilities I mentioned above. You may even discover that something has jammed inside the door itself right at the lock rods, or a rod is slightly bent, or so worn it has too much slop to throw the lock lever firmly.

If you discover that parts need replacing, try a wrecking yard, and even consider trying Camry parts, as they're twin sisters to the ES. Good Luck!

the lock motor is probably weak. Here is a $5 Fix we have done on the RX300 forum...Will work on any electric lock door regardless of car....long thread but you may find it interesting....

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41219&hl=

would suggest reading most of it and at the end folks have come up with better solutions for location of lock....nice pictures also.