Wheel Lock Needed

rickatups

Hey Guys .... it has been a while since I have been here .... anyways .... GOT A REAL PROBLEM ....

I lost my factory wheel lock for my 1999 LS400 !! (yeah ... I know ... really stupid)

I do not have a flat tire .... but while doing a tire rotation as well as detailing the car over the weekend I somehow lost my wheel lock that comes with the factory wheels ..... of course the dealer will have it for a few million $$$ .....

Is there another source? Got any ideas? ( I also have a 95 LS400 and tried to use that wheel lock ... very close but does not fit)

Appreciate a moment of your time ..... thank you

So you don't need locks, you need a key.

The dealer is the only source to get a key to the OE lock set. If you no longer have the key and can't afford the OE replacement key, you'll need to remove the locks and then just buy a new set of locks/key, you can get McGard locks from numerous suppliers for half the price of the dealer units.

There are a few techniques used to get the locks off. I won't disclose them though as this is a public forum, suggestions made to bypass theft deterrent items are typically frowned upon. But I know how very well, I lost my key last week and went through this too. It's a pain in the !Removed!.

Retrace your steps, get a really strong magnet and put it on the end of a stick and troll around the areas you were in.

Any chance that would help you in locating it?

It's not in any stupid obvious location like the spare tire wheel well, between the seat/arm rest, under the seat, in your back pocket? :ph34r:

Last summer I had a slow leak on one of my tires. I took it to a Les Schwab tire shop and I asked the attendent if he wanted me to remove the locked hub cap, he said don't bother, we have a tool that fits them. I never did see what he used, but he got the job done and had no problem removing the locking hub cap.

I would suggest just having the locks removed at any competent tire shop and put regular lug nuts on. It is just not worth the hassle. As RDM pointed out, the locks can be removed and most thieves interested in your wheels would be cognizant of the proper technique. BTW, where is "Sothern" California? ;) Ok, maybe you DO need locks. :o :lol: Especially if LA.