Rattle Behind Center Console

Roadkillav8r

I've got an annoying rattle behind the center console. It happens anytime the key is on regardless of whether or not the engine is on or whether or not the air conditioning system is on. The best way to describe it is it sounds like the CD player is changing discs but it doesn't come from the CD box but to the left right in the middle of the dash. Any ideas?

I've got an annoying rattle behind the center console. It happens anytime the key is on regardless of whether or not the engine is on or whether or not the air conditioning system is on. The best way to describe it is it sounds like the CD player is changing discs but it doesn't come from the CD box but to the left right in the middle of the dash. Any ideas?

I had the same issue on my 99 RX300. It was the solenoids that direct air. They need to be changed. Mine were done under extended warranty, so I don't know the cost. I do remember - a long time ago (2 yrs.+) - this issue was discussed in this forum. The sound was like the CD player 'hunting' constantly.

lenore,

Great post thanks, probably going to be very helpful when I do the fix. Question, has anyone tried to fix the solenoids? The ford solenoids can be fixed, not that Ford would admit it, by replacing the O-rings inside the solenoids. For $4 at Ace Hardware you can get a bag of O-rings pull out the ones you need presto chango problem fixed. When I get to it I will give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the pix.