Rapidly Overheating Es300

bzgal

Hi, I have a 92 ES300 that is overheating. When this first started I took it to the mechanic and the radiator and water pump was replaced. Then my upper radiator hose had a leak so that too was replaced. When these items were replaced the temperature gauge never traveled very high, but it did rise a line or 2. After a while I had to check my water every 2 days. Again the mechanic recommended that I take the thermostat out and thought the motor on my cooling fan was going out so that was replaced. Ugggh, as of right now I can not drive more than 9 miles on the freeway because the temperature rises so fast. The last time I drove it there was white smoke that seemed to be following me. Just as a test I filled the radiator and reservoir and started the car. I left it on for about 10 minutes until it reached normal temperature. When the engine cooled I looked in the radiator and almost all the water was gone but there was no visible sign of a leak.

Frankly, I've taken it to a mechanic every time I've had a problem and that hasn't worked as of yet. I can't afford to take it to the dealer so I'm looking for some outside help. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

hi, its difficult to diagnose problems like this over the net but it sounds like you have a blown head gasket or cracked head, that is why you are loosing water and you have white smoke coming out from the exhaust.check your oil dipstick, make sure it is still at normal level and does not look a real milky color, if this is the case stop driving the car until you get the head problem fixed otherwise you will also ruin the motor, if the oil looks ok and the level is normal this means your water is not leaking into your sump. fill your radiator up then start your car, while it is running put the palm of your hand next to the exhaust pipe about , about 4 inches away, be careful not to touch the pipe as it will be getting hot, see if you can feel drops of water hitting your palm. let me know how it goes mate and we will take it from there.

cheers fergi

Sounds like a blown headgasket. Do the tests that Fergi recomends, and also do a compression check. That will tell you for sure. Also, it is a very bad idea to run without a thermostat, it causes far too many problems. If there is any doubt about the thermostat, just replace it.