Tips On How To Increase Mpg?

93LSOwner

UCF3,

I am 17 years old, High School Senior. Only worked for one month all my life. Right now looking for a job. Anyways, the last owner warned me that it takes alot of gas. But I was just wondering that is it just my car. Since from my point of view it was a little bargin. $5,800 1993 LS400 146,000 that it might have problems. The reason why she sold it was because she bought a newer Lexus LX470. Today, I only idled for 1min in the morning and 20sec in the afternoon. I just heard that not warming your engine may cause it to seize. I guess it is just an old myth, "not from a machanic." I live in High Point, NC I was searched for a Lexus for 1.5 years. There was one in the paper for $6,500 1994LS400 134,000miles and it got sold the right next day after it came in the paper. So, I had to get this one. I never thought that I would buy a LS400 since it is a V8, the PRICE and how rare they are to find under $10,000 with descent miles.

There are few people who have new expensive cars like a 2000 BMW 3-series and 2000 Discovery. But I'm the only one with a $46,000 car and a LEXUS. It is well worth the price, price of parts, gas and everything else.

that's cool with me. I've been in your shoes before, rich suburban school, friends driving parents and expensive cars, blah, blah, blah. I even drove an new high end car when I was 16.

Just be prepared to spend money. You have an old, high mileage, first gen car.

I'm not really convinced Z max and the other additives really do anything productive. One of my sponsors is Mobil 1, so I end up listening to some of their lectures. They usually back up their facts, and Z max hasn't done that, in my opinion. Techron is a proven substance. You could try that out to see if it works for you.

I'm not really convinced Z max and the other additives really do anything productive. One of my sponsors is Mobil 1, so I end up listening to some of their lectures. They usually back up their facts, and Z max hasn't done that, in my opinion. Techron is a proven substance. You could try that out to see if it works for you.

So is this stuff just added to a tank of gas - and twice a year or so for maintenane?

Also, your thoughts on how it compares to (BG44)? injector cleaner....

Thanks!

I use Techron once a year. Bosch has approved that additive for their fuel systems, and I am unaware of any other product they have approved.

Z-max and the like are snake oil. Stay away from them.

By the way, I just filled my LS400 tonight. The wife has been driving it for the last couple of weeks (her car really, until I get home) in short trips at relatively low temperatures. Mileage on this tank was 17.5 imperial, quite a bit lower than usual. Goes to show how the mixture is richer during warm-up, and another reason to be moving quickly after a cold start.

you add z max to a half filled tank of gasoline and you also add additives to your engine oil, no need for oil change either.

techron shoudl be used no more often than every 3000 miles, it's like a bleach for your injectors.

you add z max to a half filled tank of gasoline and you also add additives to your engine oil, no need for oil change either.

You're just funnin' us aren't you? No need for oil changes? Why, to save money for something........important?

SRK:

I think he's saying you don't have to change it before adding the Zmax solution.

99LS:

I've read in previous posts that BG44 is an excellent Injector cleaner, and that you can apply it every other fill-up. You have to use it several times.

This is what I think of most of these additives. In order to get them to work, you have to keep applying them several times. that's a lot of money. I'm used to using Mobil, Shell and Chevron fuel, and I know Mobil and Chevron fuels use cleaning detergents. I think that's a better choice than waisting extra money.--But that's just me.

srk, that's not what i meant. the oil additive does not need for you to change oil to add it in.

OK thanks. Now I understand.

So the issue is using oil additives, and on that one I believe in just using a good quality oil, or a synthetic like Mobil 1 and be done with it.