Lx470 Suspension Is Rough

lx470_fella

G'day ... I own a 2006 updated LX470 with 45K ks of the clock ... car is immaculate except the ride is rough. dealer replaced the accumulators and the ride is still rough ... the seats and dash vibrate when I hit a seemingly small bump ... any suggestions ...?

G'day Fella!

I have a 2007 LX470 with about 40k's on the clock and have had the same experience as you with dash rattles (though not the accumulators thankfully).

I just kept pestering my dealer (Lexus of Chatswood). They have had my dash out three times (!) and replaced it once; they are actually very accommodating of my "zero rattle" policy. To fix the rattles they have done a lot of application of insulating tape (foam with one side sticky) inside the dash and importantly around the whole circumference of the dash - since then, even on the roughest roads - silence!

Though, my passenger headrest has just started to rattle... so off to Chatswood I go!

Glenn

Thanks Glenn - so i am not the only one being frustrated by rattles !! I am hoping that when the suspension/ride improves the rattles will reduce. I have heard that they are not the softest of vehicles ride wise but they wouldnt have sold very well if they were rolled out the factory with ride similar to mine ... !! I have been doing some reading and I am thinking my front shocks arent working as well as they should. The rear one was leaking when I had the vehicle pre-inspected. The Dealer had told me the car was "perfect" and apologised when issue was identified. I was told the read shocks were replaced ... thinking that the fronts need to go in an effort to solve the rattles and very poor ride.

Hi, do you have any extra weight in it such as a bull bar etc?

I find similar ride to yours but I have about 500kg+ extra weight in it (front and rear ARB bars, winch, spare wheel carrier and LPG.

What I found helped a lot was dropping the tire pressure to 200psi,the ride is a lot smoother and the rattles have all but gone.

Cheers

Leon

• 3 months later...

When one is carrying additional weight, the AHC system has to increase the hydraulic pressure to support that weight. Even at Normal height, the accumulators get squished by as much as 1000 psi additional pressure, which greatly reduces their bump absorbing capability.

For permanent weight conditions B and B can supply higher pressure pre-charge accumulators so you will have full suspension travel available again. If variable weight loads are the situation, one can add adjustable air bags to the rear end, and increase their pressure when weight is added to keep the AHC pressure down to normal Normal levels. Please see the attached description of this design limitation issue.

MEASURING PRESSURE IN THE ACCUMULATORS-rtf.rtf