2007 Es350 Oil Change

caji

Hi,

I have a 2007 ES350 that I seldom drive. I have another Lexus ES300 and a Honda and I am retired. The odometer of the 2007 ES350 is only 14,000 miles. I have change the oil myself at 3,258; 8,181; 10,038 and 13,224. I use Castrol synthetic oil 5-30. Am I overdoing the oil change? If the manufacturers says 7,000 miles per oil change, which I don't normally follow and change it every 3,000 miles. What is the max time I have to change oil assuming I put only less than 2,000 miles. Is 12 months OK. Every 4 months irrespective of mileage might be overkill. The cost of oil change doing it myself is only $35.00 and probably 20 minutes of my time. What are your opinions guys.

Here's another issue on oil change. Whenever I remove the filter drain or housing cap the whole filter casing rotates. So I just end up replacing the filter and the big "O" ring. Should I put the filter housing on a vise and remove the housing cap for me to replace the small "O" ring? Is this necessary if there's no oil leak? Your thoughts please.

Manny

Hi,

I have a 2007 ES350 that I seldom drive. I have another Lexus ES300 and a Honda and I am retired. The odometer of the 2007 ES350 is only 14,000 miles. I have change the oil myself at 3,258; 8,181; 10,038 and 13,224. I use Castrol synthetic oil 5-30. Am I overdoing the oil change? If the manufacturers says 7,000 miles per oil change, which I don't normally follow and change it every 3,000 miles. What is the max time I have to change oil assuming I put only less than 2,000 miles. Is 12 months OK. Every 4 months irrespective of mileage might be overkill. The cost of oil change doing it myself is only $35.00 and probably 20 minutes of my time. What are your opinions guys.

Here's another issue on oil change. Whenever I remove the filter drain or housing cap the whole filter casing rotates. So I just end up replacing the filter and the big "O" ring. Should I put the filter housing on a vise and remove the housing cap for me to replace the small "O" ring? Is this necessary if there's no oil leak? Your thoughts please.

Manny

Hi Manny. I'm not sure about your filter question, but I can tell you that my Lexus dealer suggest I change my oil once a year based on my 12,000 miles per year driving.

Paul

Hi,

Manny

Hi Manny. I'm not sure about your filter question, but I can tell you that my Lexus dealer suggest I change my oil once a year based on my 12,000 miles per year driving.

Paul

Hi,

Manny

Paul

Hi Paul. Thanks for replying. That is actually what I am doing changing my oil yearly as long as I don't go over 7,000 miles during the year. The key to engine life is oil change. That is why I have cars that go over 250,000 miles with no problem with the engine. Thanks again and you have a nice day!!

Manny

• 12 years later...

"[My] Lexus dealer [suggested] I change my oil once a year based on my 12,000 miles-per-year driving."

I've had a devil of a time trying to determine the proper oil-change interval for my 2007 es350. Aside from the once-per-year recommendation, am I to understand that 12,000 miles per year is the recommended interval? I realise this is an old post but I'm hoping somebody will supply me with a recommendation. 

Cheers!

Brandon

• 2 months later...

You are correct. Oil is the life of the engine. If you change it yourself the cost is low. I change my oil and filter every 2-3K miles. but don't drive much. If there is no leak, I wouldn't worry about the small o ring.