Looking To Buy Rx400H Any Advise?

Hi,

I'm a newbie here. Recently I have been looking for a replacement for my 1998 Ford Explorer (133K miles) and have always liked the size and look of the Lexus RX series. I know that the payback for a Hybrid is hard to justify, but if I think I can at least break even, I am willing to give it a shot. So I was just wondering what all of you think about your RX400H and RX450H SUVs. I have a relatively short commute, about 7 miles one way, but during the summer I try to hike every weekend 100 to 250 miles round trip each weekend. I am a little concerned parking a nice vehicle like a Lexus RX at a trail head, but any new vehicle is probably the same concern. I don't go off road, but some of the roads to a trail head can be pretty rough, but the only time I have required AWD is in the winter (snowshoeing).

I usually buy new, but am considering possibly a low mileage 2007 or 2008 RX400H. Not sure if I want to jump all the way to a new 450H. So any advice you can give me on what to watch out for would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

MidLifeHiker

Go for the used 2007 or 2008 400h. Buying new doesn't make sense when you can save $20k on a used one with low miles and still some warranty left.

Always check the title history for rebuilt/salvage or other accidents before buying a used car with Carfax or Autocheck. Check out http://carbuyingtips.com/ for more things to watch out for. I found that Craigslist is the best way to find deals on local used cars. Don't mess with the other websites - all the dealers and private sellers list on Craigslist.

I see you're from Mukilteo. I found my RX400h at University Audi in Lynnwood, through Craigslist. Lexus of Seattle is also nearby in Lynnwood, and they usually have several Lexus Certified used RX hybrids available. Good luck!

hi i have a 2007 rx400h i bought it new and i love it = 3 years old and never a repair = i can get 40 mpg if i feather it but most of the time i get less cause it is so fast and fun to drive = try to find a used 2007 as the newer ones have some changes that i don't care for = like the nav. screen and the joy stick control = i like mine better - the battery is warrented for eight years and none of them have been replaced that i know of - so not to worrry - i did buy the extended 7 yr package just in case - this is a highly reliable car - take one for a test drive and you will be very impressed - richard4u

If you go for a used car, you'd better buy from a dealer. The Lexus Certified program is a good one, you can't go wrong with one of their cars.

This is true only if the dealership has service records of the used vehicle it is selling. There are many out there that do not. That being the case, I'd rather buy from a private seller who has records of all maintenence and repair work.

True, but if the previous owner did not have the vehicle serviced at the dealership, there will be no records to check - the danger being that you can't contact the previous owner to inquire about his or her maintenance records.