Please Help Me?

I posted this once on here and then on a few other sites as well but never got a single response. I don't think anyone knows the answer to this problem. Do I need to just junk my car or what? :cries: I read my other post again and realized it sounded a bit confusing in itself so here I am trying this again. I searched all of the post and really came up with no answer on what to do about this. I have the 3vzfe engine on a 93 Lexus ES300 V6 and it had a blown head gasket which was really bad. I replaced the gasket both head gaskets, along with quite a few others, the water pump, radiator, etc... I did not get a new timing belt because the one that's on it looks almost brand new but it had none of the marks on it. I did mark the TB with the marks on the pulleys and TB cover but that's the only place I marked it. I'm now getting everything together and am at the point where I have the crankshaft on "0" mark, LH (front) on "single dots" and RH (rear) camshaft on "double dots" just like the repair manual said to do. The distributor is not on no.1 yet but it would be if or when the camshaft is turned. NOW here's the confusion..., I can get the LH (front) camshaft and pulley all lined up but to get the timing marks on the RH (rear) pulley to align, the cams have to be turned quite a bit (180 degrees) to get the timing marks aligned with the timing belt cover. (The manual doesn't specify whether it needs to be turned clockwise or not either.) When this happens, the double marks on the cams are not aligned anymore but the distributor is now pointing at the no.1. Is this normal? I figured if they are still in sync, which they are, then it's ok to turn the cams to get the timing marks on the pulley and back cover aligned. The manuals are extremely poor at explaining any of this and I wanted to make sure before I finish putting it together. Am I supposed to turn the rear camshaft, even after the "double dots" are aligned, which will throw off the camshaft marks, just to get the pulley to line up and then put the belt back on? I'm really confused here.

One other question, I know TDC on no.1 is supposed to be on compression and not exhaust. If the crankshaft is on "0", how can I tell if it's on compression or exhaust side? I would really need my car back like yesterday and would really appreciate all the help I can get. This is my only car and I don't have the money to have someone else do this for me. :( Thanks in advance

Thanks fish, I already had that diagram but I will email you that beer anyway. :lol:

:cheers:

I just found out too that my no. 5 cylinder has no compression if you or anyone else can tell me what to look for to figure out why? I'll email you a 6 pack if you can help with that one. Oh and, if the timing is off, will that cause it not to have compression in one cylinder? I read a few things in searching and that's the only thing that has come up so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I'm not getting any emails telling me I have a response and yes I did the whole "email me when" thing. LOL

Anywho, I took all of the stuff back off....again...so I could see at least under the valve cover and I found out that the valves are stuck down only on that one side. I've been trying to figure out a way to get them to pop back up and lube the crap outta them but it seems I'm just going to have to take the head back off again. My friend, who thinks he knows what he's doing, started banging on the side of the head with a hammer and then he took a piece of wood and banged on top of the valves to try to get them to move. Yea I didn't find out until afterwards and chair.gif no need to say what my response to him was cuz it's censored.gif

Well, now I'm going to have to take the head off to make sure there isn't any major damage and to clean out the little tiny chunks of wood from it. Oh well I need to take the darn thing off to get to the valves anyway I guess. Unless someone knows of a way I can get them unstuck without having to remove it?

No compression = Rings and/or valves, Or there is a hole in the piston crybaby.gif