98 Gs300: Funky Power Delivery, And Brake Buzzing

All, I have a 1998 GS300 that I recently acquired. It's been fairly well taken care of (routine services weren't handled by Lexus but by a competant 3rd party mechanic, but they are all on time). I have a couple of the usual GS issues with a failing door lock actuator motor and the Pioneer radio display partially missing, but a couple of things that I wanted to get an opinion from the collective on:

1) Brake buzzing: I've searched and read about the master cylinder failing, but I haven't seen my specific situation commented on. My master cylinder buzzes much more frequently than I'm used to (like an ABS accumulator pressurizing after having been off for a while). There's an initial buzz when starting the car that lasts I think 4 seconds, then buzzing when I use the brakes to stop from typically >10MPH which lasts 2 seconds. The fluid level and condition is good, the brakes work normally, and no indicator lights on the dash during normal driving (no VSC or ABS lights come on, just for a few seconds when starting the car). It seems to be a stable condition at this time, having done it for the last thousand or so miles since I got the car. The brake fluid level does not seem to go down.

2) Power delivery lag: Occasionally, when coasting at a slow speed, if I apply the gas it seems like it takes a second or two to "catch", almost as though something in the transmission needs to "fill up" before engaging, so it's not as graceful as other driving conditions. It doesn't shift harshly and all gears seem to engage normally, and taking off from a dead stop is completely fluid (as is shifting into/out of neutral). The transmission fluid looks normal and it doesn't look burned at all (it was replaced in the last 10k miles or so). Is this a characteristic of the powertrain?

Thanks!

CruzinGS

All, I have a 1998 GS300 that I recently acquired. It's been fairly well taken care of (routine services weren't handled by Lexus but by a competant 3rd party mechanic, but they are all on time). I have a couple of the usual GS issues with a failing door lock actuator motor and the Pioneer radio display partially missing, but a couple of things that I wanted to get an opinion from the collective on:

1) Brake buzzing: I've searched and read about the master cylinder failing, but I haven't seen my specific situation commented on. My master cylinder buzzes much more frequently than I'm used to (like an ABS accumulator pressurizing after having been off for a while). There's an initial buzz when starting the car that lasts I think 4 seconds, then buzzing when I use the brakes to stop from typically >10MPH which lasts 2 seconds. The fluid level and condition is good, the brakes work normally, and no indicator lights on the dash during normal driving (no VSC or ABS lights come on, just for a few seconds when starting the car). It seems to be a stable condition at this time, having done it for the last thousand or so miles since I got the car. The brake fluid level does not seem to go down.

2) Power delivery lag: Occasionally, when coasting at a slow speed, if I apply the gas it seems like it takes a second or two to "catch", almost as though something in the transmission needs to "fill up" before engaging, so it's not as graceful as other driving conditions. It doesn't shift harshly and all gears seem to engage normally, and taking off from a dead stop is completely fluid (as is shifting into/out of neutral). The transmission fluid looks normal and it doesn't look burned at all (it was replaced in the last 10k miles or so). Is this a characteristic of the powertrain?

Thanks!

CruzinGS

#1 - Your GS is equipped with speed sensing front suspension, That's what you hear, Normal...

#2 - This sounds like the tranny is not up to temp yet wink.gif Revs higher and shifts a little harder when under 153 degrees farenheight, This occurs to rapidly warm things upcool.gif If this occurs after warm, Drop and fill the tranny fluid 2 qts. Toyota type 4 or what you deem appropriate 2 - 3 times with a couple hundred miles between drop and fills cheers.gif Let us know results please, You know you have to post pic's of your ride, Right ? laugh.gif

Welcome to the club cheers.gif