Bye Bye Navigation

After 8 years of bouncing around in the trunk, my Nav DVD has finally given up the farm. Recently I was having problems entering addresses, POIs, and switching map regions. Earlier today I got the dreaded disk read error message. I ejected the DVD and there is a physical groove worn into the disc where it looks like it the laser head has contacted the spinning disc repetedly over time. Looks like I'll need to invetigate my options...

I'd look at a used disc on eBay. You might even be able to pick up an updated year. Just be sure to research that it is compatible with your present version. Good Luck!

I'd look at a used disc on eBay. You might even be able to pick up an updated year. Just be sure to research that it is compatible with your present version. Good Luck!

Did you read his post? lol He said the drive was physically damaging his disc. So what good would buying a new disc do when the drive itself is going to destroy it? ;-)

James

Did you read his post? lol He said the drive was physically damaging his disc. So what good would buying a new disc do when the drive itself is going to destroy it? ;-)

James

I had that same thought. I was wondering if the wear was a result of 8 years of accumulated use or if something happened to the drive more recently that would have caused it. I'm not really interested inspending $200 to wreck another disc only to find out that the drive is shot. I wouldn't normally consider a DVD a wear and tear item.

I have considered the alternative of replacing it with a burned copy to test the integrity of the DVD drive itself. I know that by doing so, I might be entering into a gray area that some around here may frown upon. So the moral question is this - is it stealing if I replace my old factory disc with the same version burned disc?

James

I had that same thought. I was wondering if the wear was a result of 8 years of accumulated use or if something happened to the drive more recently that would have caused it. I'm not really interested inspending $200 to wreck another disc only to find out that the drive is shot. I wouldn't normally consider a DVD a wear and tear item.

I have considered the alternative of replacing it with a burned copy to test the integrity of the DVD drive itself. I know that by doing so, I might be entering into a gray area that some around here may frown upon. So the moral question is this - is it stealing if I replace my old factory disc with the same version burned disc?

do you really need us to answer that question, just do it.

Couldn't find the same version, but I did find the 7.1 torrent. Downloaded and burned onto a Memorex DVD+R DL. Seems to work so far. Even got my POI and address input back. I'll give it a little time and see what happens.