8.1 L/100Km (29 Mpg) On Road Trip..

Just drove exactly 777.0 km (I kid you not..that's what the trip meter showed) and as per the onboard computer I got 8.1 l/100km (or 29mpg). Pretty happy with that.

Check here to read all about it, because I don't feel like writing all about it twice.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1977346#Post1977346

Just drove exactly 777.0 km (I kid you not..that's what the trip meter showed) and as per the onboard computer I got 8.1 l/100km (or 29mpg). Pretty happy with that.

Check here to read all about it, because I don't feel like writing all about it twice.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1977346#Post1977346

What fuel were you using and what was the temperature? What's your tire air pressure? When I go highway at 100 km/hr i only get about 10L/100km. I only get 8's when i'm in the city going under 80km/hr.

Outside temp was 30 celsius. Normally I run Shell premium 91 octane (as it has no ethanol), but my wife filled the car prior to the trip and used Petro Canada regular 87 octane (which can contain up to 10% ethanol). Tire pressure is 34 all around. I actually find I get better mileage on the highway than I do in the city (I have a friend with a Toyota Camry hybrid and he finds the same).

Seeing as you have a 2006, have you done the ISC(idle speed control) reset, or asked your dealer to do it? If you have replaced or disconnected your battery or run it below 7.2 volts, you need to do the ISC reset. My mileage increased a fair amount when I did this procedure when I first bought the vehicle, as have other owners who have done the procedure.

Outside temp was 30 celsius. Normally I run Shell premium 91 octane (as it has no ethanol), but my wife filled the car prior to the trip and used Petro Canada regular 87 octane (which can contain up to 10% ethanol). Tire pressure is 34 all around. I actually find I get better mileage on the highway than I do in the city (I have a friend with a Toyota Camry hybrid and he finds the same).

Seeing as you have a 2006, have you done the ISC(idle speed control) reset, or asked your dealer to do it? If you have replaced or disconnected your battery or run it below 7.2 volts, you need to do the ISC reset. My mileage increased a fair amount when I did this procedure when I first bought the vehicle, as have other owners who have done the procedure.

I have not run shell on the RX, but have on other cars and have found quote a bit more range on the Shell fuel. I use Costco normally. Tire pressures for me are 32psi, so that'll create a bit more drag too. I have never heard of the ISC reset, I'll have to bring it up next time I see the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

2008 RX400h with 23K miles. We just took a 990 mile trip to Portland, ME from near Philadelphia, PA and back.

Regular gas (10% ethanol), temps in the 70's, A/C on, two people/minimal luggage onboard, tires ~38 PSI, speeds in the 70+ range and we got a solid 28.5 mpg. That's actually the best I've ever gotten on a long trip like this.

you can see from my avatar what my mpg was.

You gotta help me out here - I can't read it on my screen even after zooming in.

That is GREAT mileage! The only way I could even hope to get 30.9 would be to run premium gas and travel 55 mph on a relatively level road.

• 3 weeks later...

How can you change to L. per 100 km instead of MPG ??

I have the Lexus RX400h 2007

The basic equivalency numbers to work with are:

Imperial gallon (as used in Canada and UK) = 4.55 litres

US gallon = 3.79 litres

1 mile = 1.616 kms.

Conversion to US equivalent (which, as noted above, is different that Imperial equivalent) would be as follows:

Example: 8.0 l/100kms = (8/3.79=) 2.11 gallons per (100/1.616=)61.9 miles =>> 1 gallon per (61.9/2.11 =) 29.34 miles in US gallon terms.

A quick, back of the envelope way to calculate could be:

Knowing that 10 litres/ 100 kms is equiv. to +/- 23.5 mpg (US), 9 litres/100kms is a 10% improvement, 8litres/100k is a 20% improvement etc..., all calculated off 23.5 mpg.

If you are using Imperial gallons, as they used to do in Canada, mileage would be improved by [(4.55/3.79)-1] = roughly 20% in mpg compared to US. In other words, a US mpg number of, say, 29.3mpg (8 l/100kms) would be equivalent to an Imperial number of 35.2 mpg.

The US should adopt the metric system as does most of the world. Calculations are a lot simpler in a metric world....