How Many Miles On Your Gx? Any Problems?

mkfromvlad

I HAVE 63000 MILES ON MY 2007 GX 470..I HAVE HAD A FEW WHAT I WOULD CALL MINOR PROBLEMS..I HAD TO REPLACE WATR PUMP AT APPROX 40.000 MI..SO AT THE SAME TIME DID TIMING BELT AS I WAS ADVISED TO DO..NO PROB SINCE OTER THAN ALTERNATOR ABOUT 6000 MILES AGO..ALSO ABOUT 1500 MILE AGE REPLACED BOOTS ON FRONT AXLE...THATS IT!..CONSIDERING MY GX IS 10 YEARS OLD  I  FIGURE ALL IS OK AND I LOVE MY GX ..THATS WHY I HAVE KEPT IT FOR 10 YEARS AND PROBABLY WILL KEEP IT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

AL I CAN SAY IN A NUTSHELL MY GX IS THE BEST VEHICLE THAT I HAVE OWNED AND AT 70 YEARS OLD IVE HAD QUITE A FEW..INCLUDING MERCEDES , BMW ETC

BUT 2007 GX470 IS THE OVERALL BEST ,COMFORT ,RELIABILITY AND DRIVEABILITY. 

• 1 month later...

2008 GX470 179,000 + MILES; replaced rear airbag sensor, air bag was fine; radio speaker problems, just unplugged tranformer?? under drivers seat, now works fine, get 18 mpg on highway.  I pull my Kubota 43hp. 4 x 4 diesel tractor with front-end loader, and Woods 72-inch BB brush hog mower all on a 16-foot double axel utility trailer with no problems.  Has great 4-wheel drive, with posi-trac, all wheels pull when engaged! 

• 3 weeks later...

Currently my 03 has 79,000 miles. Running like a champ. 

Just acquired a 2007 GX470 with only 12,000 miles on the ODO. It's my vacation car in the Philippines so this is a new experience for me as I will see how this vehicle can  handle the tropical weather of my country. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

135,100 on our 2005 GX. It gas been a great vehicle, but not bullet-proof. 

The usual driveline clunk - warranty

Failed ride height sensor (fully inflated the rear air bags) - warranty

Failed coating on all 4 wheels - warranty (coming back on 1 wheel, and the spare was never replaced)

Rear A/C line failed - out of warranty, but covered anyway

Sunroof mechanism sticking and frame corrosion - out of warranty, but covered anyway

Stuck front caliper 

Leak at top of radiator

Corrosion around several mounting bolts under the hood

And now the steering column is starting to squeak when it powers into position and yesterday the GX started showing signs of a failing steering rack.

Despite the issues, this is my all-time favorite vehicle. I prefer my GX over my wife's GS, hands down.

Now, if I could just get my local Lexus shop to actually perform all the inspections I pay for with every 5,000 mile service, and get them to stop running the lug nuts down with an impact wrench (they don't even use torque sticks), I'd be a happy camper. 

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Can't believe 7+ years have gone by since I commented on this topic. Mine now has about 233K miles on. After the last major maintenance(belt, h20 pump, alternator, radiator, spark plugs, tensioner, idler, seals, tires, brakes), she is still running like new. Great to drive! On the negative side, dashboard shows sign of minor hairline cracks in couple locations(known issue) and  rear fender paint is fading a bit, but overall body paint is still shiny(wash and was regularly and park in garage).  Hoping for it to run another 7+ years.

• 1 month later...

Update since my post back in April, 2017: 

155,000 miles. It’s still my favorite vehicle, but it’s had more than it’s share of problems.

Replaced the steering rack and steering shaft. (Very expensive.)

When I picked it up from that repair there were hairline cracks on the dash, close to greasy fingerprints. Dealer denies any responsibility.

Corrosion on wheels - again. Replaced AGAIN, this time at my expense with after-market wheels.

Rusty sunroof frame - again. Soon I’ll have to pay to replace it AGAIN.

(It seems that Lexus replaced defective parts with equally defective parts.)

(Yes, I live in Michigan, but my vehicles are kept in a garage and washed regularly. My 2000 GS with 190,000 miles hasn’t shown any signs of corrosion on the wheels or on the sunroof - or anywhere else.)

This past Saturday night the charging system failed WITHOUT ANY WARNING LIGHTS. (All warning lights show up properly before engine start.) This is the first time in 46 years that a car has stranded us away from home. 

As much as I love my GX, I’m now considering other options. And considering the repeated terrible service at my local Lexus store, my next vehicle isn’t likely to be a Lexus. 😞

Edited by Harley Rider
Spelling and omission.

• 1 month later...

2004 one owner  48,000 miles no issues had the timing belt replaced ,spark plugs etc , they did find some oil on one of the  the spark plugs., so replaced the casket .

Deciding to sell or not !! 

fullsizeoutput_98.jpeg

• 10 months later...

2007 Lexus GX 470 Silver / tan

162K miles

Runs well, 4k Royal Purple oil / filter change synthetic, change all fluids often coolant, transmission, front & rear differential, power steering fluid, flush brake fluid every 30K miles

Alternator was replaced 145K.   I keep it in the garage looks new. Best vehicle I have ever owned. 12 years old

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

2008 GX470 with 135,000 miles on it here. One "family" ownership. Always garaged and dealer maintained when purchased from my uncle in New Mexico. No rust anywhere at all. Runs like new. No accidents.

That being said I have replaced the original windshield, headlight assemblies, front and rear struts / shocks, rear air bags, rotors and brake calipers. I've replaced all of the fluids including transfer case, front & rear differential and transmission. Also had the car rust proofed now that it's living in the Northeast. The battery, timing belt, water pump and radiator were all replaced by the dealership at 90,000 miles. Prior to me the vehicle was dealer serviced at 5,000 mile intervals. 

C51A9E11-8029-429A-858F-ABF8D2480CEB.jpeg

49BD9312-B760-4F34-BC0D-A1CA992C86F6.jpeg

3 hours ago, Superglidesport said:

2008 GX470 with 135,000 miles on it here. One "family" ownership. Always garaged and dealer maintained when purchased from my uncle in New Mexico. No rust anywhere at all. Runs like new. No accidents.

That being said I have replaced the original windshield, headlight assemblies, front and rear struts / shocks, rear air bags, rotors and brake calipers. I've replaced all of the fluids including transfer case, front & rear differential and transmission. Also had the car rust proofed now that it's living in the Northeast. The battery, timing belt, water pump and radiator were all replaced by the dealership at 90,000 miles. Prior to me the vehicle was dealer serviced at 5,000 mile intervals. 

C51A9E11-8029-429A-858F-ABF8D2480CEB.jpeg

49BD9312-B760-4F34-BC0D-A1CA992C86F6.jpeg

Looks good, also wheels look in good shape.

7 hours ago, BOB NEW JERSEY said:

Looks good, also wheels look in good shape.

Yes. No rust or corrosion anywhere due to spending it's entire life up to this point in New Mexico. My uncle is a retired airline pilot who also has his own plane. Very fussy and all about maintenance "by the book."

• 4 weeks later...