Leakage

jmcohen23

Just when I thought my '99 RX300 (145k miles) was in prime shape, my wife took it in for a standard oil & filter change, and they came back with an expensive list of problems.

- Valve cover gaskets are leaking: $700

- Front engine seals are leaking: $1,000

- Oil pan gasket is leaking: $400

- clean engine to confirm leak: $1,000

do any of these seem reasonable? I'm thinking about taking it to Jiffy Lube for another quote. The car maybe worth $9k, but trading it in right now would be about $6k they said.

any suggestions?

thanks!

Outrageous to me but I do not take my RX 300, Porsche or BMW to the dealers. A detail shop will steam clean you engine top to bottom for 50-$100. Extrapolate backwards from your list.

NONE of the problems listed are critical, none. Unless there is a large, ever growing puddle off oil under your car in it’s usual parking spot and your always adding oil, you have nothing to worry about. Wait until you do, then take it to an independent shop.

Regards, PK

You might change the PCV valve, maybe there is too much back pressure....Then take car to a do it yourself carwash and spray the underside of the engine down....Check for leaks from that point.