I Wondered How The Black Ls Look So Deep.

Cool article.

One of the real reasons Lexus black looks so much deeper than black from other manufacturers is Lexus black has no clearcoat.

Sorry to disagree but it has a clear-coat. Always had.

I can't speak for the 460, because I have never detailed one...but before 2006 Lexus black absolutely had no clearcoat. Its a dead giveaway when you machine compound one because you get black paint transfer onto your buffing pads. You only get paint transfer you can see when the car has no clearcoat, obviously there is transfer when there is a clearcoat...its just clear.

I used to own a detailing business and I have detailed dozens of black Lexus vehicles and trust me...no clearcoat. Black Toyotas have a clearcoat...but not Lexus black onyx.

Google "Lexus AND black AND clearcoat" its discussed all over all the detailing forums.

Some links:

ClubLexus:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/57654-black-paint-looks-like-crap.html

Meguiar's Online:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42131

Detail City:

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/auto-detailing-101/11985-lexus-clear-coat-question.html

I am not saying your are wrong I just would like to see more info on it...

LOL! Not saying I'm wrong? You seemed pretty matter-of-fact about it yesterday.

All I can offer you is my experience and the experience of the other detailers I've spoken to. No clear.

I concur with Sw, I have a black on black GS with paint code #202 Black Onyx, There is no clearcoat wink.gif , Just Soft Deep Black Paint cheers.gif .

I have a 2010 RX with obsidian black, which I have dual action machine buffed with white and yellow pads using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, SwirlX and M205 cleaners and the pads never turn black. The referenced article indicates two layers of clear coat.

Single stage...clear coat...anyone been to the factory to see the process?

Thanks,

Posted on another forum from Lexus Customer Service:

Subject

Does 2006 GX470 w/ Black Onyx have clearcoat?

Discussion Thread

Response 01/25/2007 01:50 PM

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

I apologize for the delay in response to your email. The 2006 Lexus GX 470 Black Onyx exterior paint does not come with a clearcoat. Please contact your local Lexus dealer to better assist you with your inquiry regarding what type of coat is used to protect the paint surface.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Lexus Customer Satisfaction

• 2 weeks later...

According to the PPG paint reference guide (used by auto body shops to determine how to paint certain colors) the Lexus "Black Onyx" does NOT have a clearcoat. The other Lexus blacks such as "black sapphire pearl", "Black Opal mica" and "Obsidian" DO have a clearcoat as these have a metallic effect.

Until 2007, all of the black Lexus' had the "black onyx" which had no clearcoat. In 2007 some of the Lexus' started using the "obsidian" black, which has clearcoat to protect the metallic pearl...

If you look closely at your black, you can determine which black you have. No metallic means you've got the "black onyx". Black with gray/brown pearl means you've got either the "obsidian" or "black opal mica", and black with blue metallic means you've got the "black sapphire" (my favorite).

I actually believe Obsidian is a flat black too with no metallic flake. Entirely plausible it has a clearcoat and replaced Black Onyx. Black Sapphire Pearl is actually a very dark blue...

I actually believe Obsidian is a flat black too with no metallic flake. Entirely plausible it has a clearcoat and replaced Black Onyx. Black Sapphire Pearl is actually a very dark blue...

Hm, not according to PPG. There's brown and green metallic flake added to the black before the clear. The black onyx is a solid black though...

It could be that Lexus does it differently from the factory, but for all the body shops that use this paint, they've got metallic and clear. :huh:

Weird, because if you look at a "black" 2010 Lexus, its a flat non-metallic black. They don't make Black Onyx anymore, its called Obsidian.

I agree, i never noticed any metallic in it either... Next time i see one ill have to look closely.

• 7 years later...