Motorola Ihf1000 Install On 2004 Rx330

Gooch

So I bought this IHF 1000 for a very good price at 6th Avenue Electronics (around $80) and I first called Motorola to see if it was compantible with my car and it's radio and of course the sell rep told me it was and not to worry. I took it to get it installed again at a good price ($50), but the problem was the techinician installing it told me I need a wire harness adapter for my car and he couldn't install it using my internal speakers without it.

Does anyone know the harness adapter i have to use and where to find one at a good price. Or has anyone succesfully installed a Motorola IHF1000 in there RX330 before. Pleas help me out any information you can provide and assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2004 RX330 with standard radio system (No Mark Levsion).

So I bought this IHF 1000 for a very good price at 6th Avenue Electronics (around $80) and I first called Motorola to see if it was compantible with my car and it's radio and of course the sell rep told me it was and not to worry. I took it to get it installed again at a good price ($50), but the problem was the techinician installing it told me I need a wire harness adapter for my car and he couldn't install it using my internal speakers without it.

Does anyone know the harness adapter i have to use and where to find one at a good price. Or has anyone succesfully installed a Motorola IHF1000 in there RX330 before. Pleas help me out any information you can provide and assistance is greatly appreciated.

I've given some technical advice to others who have successfully installed an IHF1000 in other Lexus models but not in an RX330.

The IHF1000 installation manual includes the following text on page 11:

Note: The system's handsfree audio has been optimized for the external speaker. Routing the audio output through the vehicle's entertainment system may alter the handsfree audio performance.

But if you really want to use a door speaker, Google "Motorola IHF1000 adapter harness" and you will get a few hits.

Maybe a harness from http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php would work although it might take a bit of hardwiring too.

If your installer can't install your IHF1000 without a harness, he might not be all that competent. As long as you hook the phone kit's mute wire to the radio and/or amp so that it mutes the radio while a phone call is in progress, it is often/usually possible to splice into a wire leading to a door speaker. But if it was me, I'd use an external speaker per the IHF1000 install instruction instead.

IMO, the key to getting a phone kit to work properly is to make sure that it mutes your radio automagically when you make or receive a call.

I installed the Motorola 850 and use the external speaker...The Tap for the mute was done on the amp behind the rear seat (RX300) dont know if it is located the same on the RX330.

The external speaker is mounted under the dash near the steering wheel, gives great volume and comfortable to listen to.

I've given some technical advice to others who have successfully installed an IHF1000 in other Lexus models but not in an RX330.

The IHF1000 installation manual includes the following text on page 11:

Note: The system's handsfree audio has been optimized for the external speaker. Routing the audio output through the vehicle's entertainment system may alter the handsfree audio performance.

But if you really want to use a door speaker, Google "Motorola IHF1000 adapter harness" and you will get a few hits.

Maybe a harness from http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php would work although it might take a bit of hardwiring too.

If your installer can't install your IHF1000 without a harness, he might not be all that competent. As long as you hook the phone kit's mute wire to the radio and/or amp so that it mutes the radio while a phone call is in progress, it is often/usually possible to splice into a wire leading to a door speaker. But if it was me, I'd use an external speaker per the IHF1000 install instruction instead.

IMO, the key to getting a phone kit to work properly is to make sure that it mutes your radio automagically when you make or receive a call.

I was thinking of Using the external speaker if there is no otherway of using the factory speakers instead. Surely there must be someone on this site who has successfully installed an IHF 1000 in there RX before dierctly into their speakers.

Surely there must be someone on this site who has successfully installed an IHF 1000 in there RX before dierctly into their speakers.

I doubt if I have seen more than six or seven threads about installing an IHF1000 on the Lexus forums I have frequented over the years and I don't remember any of them being about an RX330. As I said, a competent installer or a motivated amateur would not have a problem connecting a phone kit's speaker wire to a wire running to a door speaker even without an interface harness.

Consider installing an external speaker per the IHF1000 install manual. We have external speakers for the phone kits in our current cars and also did in cars we had in the past. The sound from our external phone kit speakers is excellent and we didn't have to risk damaging our audio systems to install them.

Your bigger concern is attaching your phone kit's mute wire so that it mutes your radio during a phone call. The speaker should be the easy part.

Yea attaching the speaker should be simple, The mute is important because it shuts power down to the speakers before the speakers are used for the Motorola....

• 3 weeks later...

Yea attaching the speaker should be simple, The mute is important because it shuts power down to the speakers before the speakers are used for the Motorola....

So does anyone know where to find the mute wire and what color it is????

Based on the "part 2" diagram of the three attached, it looks like the "LT GRN" wire, labeled "TMUT", is an audio system mute since it goes to an optional "MAYDAY ECU" (Lexus Link). TMUT usually means "Telephone Mute" on Lexus diagrams.

You might be able to pick up a mute pin towards the front of your interior. One of the other wires/pins labeled "MUTE" might also work but sometimes they don't fully mute an audio system. The standard way to test for a mute, per installer forums, is to (very carefully) touch an unpowered grounded test light probe to a wire's core or to a pin it connects to while the radio is playing. The radio will mute when you hit a mute wire/pin with the probe. Some say this method is dangerous and can damage a radio component and that only a multimeter, etc. should be used but I've never heard it from a pro phone kit installer.

2004 RX330 std audio diagram part 1.pdf

2004 RX330 std audio diagram part 2.pdf

2004 RX330 std audio diagram part 3.pdf