My Thoughts After 1,000 Miles...

SW03ES

Well I had the 1,000 mile check done today and also had the oil changed to full synthetic. I plan to have Lexus change it again at 5k miles and then I'll start taking it to my independent mechanic.

I thought I would take a little time and write down my thoughts.

I am really happy with the car, I just can't believe how much better the driving experience is compared to the 2003. The car feels much heavier and more substantial and the ride is much flatter. Like I said before its definitely a little bit sportier and I like that.

So far everything is operating exactly as designed. I'm still getting the sensor sensitivity fine tuned for the smog sensor and the dimmer for the panel backlighting. I love the input for the iPod, it works great and having the satellite radio built into the radio is great too.

Voice controls...still suck. Better than in the Prius but more frustrating than anything. Loving the XM NavTraffic & Weather. Lexus Enform...haven't had any use for it yet so I probably will not extend the subscription beyond the first year.

The cooled seats work great.

The stereo is really only so/so. Its definitely flatter than the ML in the '03, but I wasn't really in love with the sound on the ML in the 2010 either. I may think about asking an audi shop what they could do to maybe give the system a little more oomph without it costing a lot and without it looking aftermarket. We'll see. Sounds better when its loud.

I'll keep y'all updated!

Well I had the 1,000 mile check done today and also had the oil changed to full synthetic. I plan to have Lexus change it again at 5k miles and then I'll start taking it to my independent mechanic.

I am really happy with the car, I just can't believe how much better the driving experience is compared to the 2003. The car feels much heavier and more substantial and the ride is much flatter. Like I said before its definitely a little bit sportier and I like that.

So far everything is operating exactly as designed. I'm still getting the sensor sensitivity fine tuned for the smog sensor and the dimmer for the panel backlighting. I love the input for the iPod, it works great and having the satellite radio built into the radio is great too.

Voice controls...still suck. Better than in the Prius but more frustrating than anything. Loving the XM NavTraffic & Weather. Lexus Enform...haven't had any use for it yet so I probably will not extend the subscription beyond the first year.

The stereo is really only so/so. Its definitely flatter than the ML in the '03, but I wasn't really in love with the sound on the ML in the 2010 either. I may think about asking an audi shop what they could do to maybe give the system a little more oomph without it costing a lot and without it looking aftermarket. We'll see. Sounds better when its loud.

I'll keep y'all updated!

Curious about your praise of the ipod. I have a 2010 and when ever scrolling down the various artists or songs, it immediately plays what ever is at the top of the list, whether you want it too or not. Somewhat frustating. Others have complained about the same thing. Has Lexus solved this glitch yet?

Sounds like you are really happy with the ES, I would be too!!cheers.gif The first 1000 miles is what happens when you are reading the manual laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Maybe I should put that in my sig...

I'll keep y'all updated!

Curious about your praise of the ipod. I have a 2010 and when ever scrolling down the various artists or songs, it immediately plays what ever is at the top of the list, whether you want it too or not. Somewhat frustating. Others have complained about the same thing. Has Lexus solved this glitch yet?

K C DIA: Curious where you found your clip of Bogart. Looks great! Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I'll keep y'all updated!

I've got a 2010 ES, too and switched to Mobil 1 also. On the subject of XM nav & weather, I disagree with liking the service. After 3 months free and 1 month paying I dropped the service. I've got about 10000miles which includes local driving mostly NJ, NY, CT, DE, PA + a long car trip from Jersey to western Canada and was disgusted with XM nav and disappointed in XM weather for the following reasons:

1 Small traffic jams that I cruised thru at 20-40mph were noted but info on major stuff that hung me at 0-5mph for 1/2 hour or more where never provided. Also numerous minor traffic construction delays were not provided and/or said to be in the wrong location.

2 Weather warnings were sometimes wrong and the display sucks.

harryn

3K Yet ?cool.gif

To Steve W:

You mentioned adjusting the smog sensor sensitivity on your new 350, and the sensitivity of the panel backlighting. Can you explain those two items for me please?

I have a whooping 28 miles on my new 2010 350!!

Paul

If you go into the settings menu into vehicle settings you can adjust those items...

Just rolled over 2k miles!

I'm on my first road trip, 3.5 hours today car ran great, rode terrific, seats were very comfortable...

If you go into the settings menu into vehicle settings you can adjust those items...

I'm on my first road trip, 3.5 hours today car ran great, rode terrific, seats were very comfortable...

I don't think I even have 650 miles yet :) I like the xm weather. Mine has been spot on. Sat radio is cool, don't use stocks...that would cause me to run off the road and kill myself :) Sports don't use but I think I will keep the nav weather and radio not sure about anything else we don't have traffic around here. Smog sensor as sw said just go into your vehicle custom settings and adjust same with settings for outside and inside lights.

Where did you go on your road trip S W ???

I had a crazy couple of days one of the companies I use had a meeting that they pulled one agent from each state so I went to represent MD. Only the east coast so there were 13 of us. Get this had to be on a plane at 7 to fly into Philly then had a layover get to Tampa Fl at 1:55 lunch started at 1:00. The meeting started at 2:00. Just about a 3 - 3 1/2 hour meeting then dinner and a few drinks then to the room by 9:40 which was at a 4 star historic place Don Cesaur or something like that. Get up at 5:00 am to meet the driver to take me to the airport to fly home. Wow...my wife was like how did you like Tampa? I said I didn't even see Tampa. Bad thing is my ear is killing me from the plane. Ok done with my rant

Thats a hectic trip!

We went to NJ for a family party, my wife's aunt's birthday.

The no NavTraffic on the trip is a bummer! I was looking forward to using it up 95 but the traffic coverage stops north of Baltimore.

By NavTraffic, do you mean the audible traffic information that you sometimes hear when your GPS is set up to go to some destination. It'll say something like "Slow traffic 2 miles long 6 miles head." But you only hear such alerts when the GPS is navigating to go somewhere, which sucks in my opinion.

The other option, I think, is to tune in to some XM/Sirius station to listen to traffic conditions, but I haven't done that before. What's the station number? (I usually just tune to FM 103.5 here in the DC Metroplex for traffic info.)

The XM station number for traffic & weather in the D.C. area is #214. You can go to XMRadio.com for a complete list of all channels including traffic, sports, music, talk, etc. We don't have Nav/traffic here, we just rely on neighbors letting us know if someones cow gets out on the road.

I'm wading through the navigation owners manual for my new 10' ES 350. So far I don't find it very intuitive compared to my Garmin. Any tips?

Paul

Just curious if it's the same on the ES, but have you figured out the dual zone ac, and back to single zone control again? On the IS it's 2 nav screen menues away to switch it back. Is it better on the ES?

The nav traffic overlays on the map even when you don't have a destination entered. So if you are looking at the map you'll know where traffic is. It would be nice if they would announce it on the road you're on whether the destination is set or not.

As for the dual AC back to single, its in the climate screen, so you have to hit climate and then hit dual. I hate that, much prefer an ordinary button for that like on my '03.

m wading through the navigation owners manual for my new 10' ES 350. So far I don't find it very intuitive compared to my Garmin. Any tips?

Did you have nav on your '05? The interface will not be as user friendly as the Garmin, I'm still getting the hang of it vs the older system in the ES. So far, so good.

You just have to use it for a while to get the hang of it...

• 2 months later...

I don't think I even have 650 miles yet :) I like the xm weather. Mine has been spot on. Sat radio is cool, don't use stocks...that would cause me to run off the road and kill myself :) Sports don't use but I think I will keep the nav weather and radio not sure about anything else we don't have traffic around here. Smog sensor as sw said just go into your vehicle custom settings and adjust same with settings for outside and inside lights.

Where did you go on your road trip S W ???

I had a crazy couple of days one of the companies I use had a meeting that they pulled one agent from each state so I went to represent MD. Only the east coast so there were 13 of us. Get this had to be on a plane at 7 to fly into Philly then had a layover get to Tampa Fl at 1:55 lunch started at 1:00. The meeting started at 2:00. Just about a 3 - 3 1/2 hour meeting then dinner and a few drinks then to the room by 9:40 which was at a 4 star historic place Don Cesaur or something like that. Get up at 5:00 am to meet the driver to take me to the airport to fly home. Wow...my wife was like how did you like Tampa? I said I didn't even see Tampa. Bad thing is my ear is killing me from the plane. Ok done with my rant

Thanks for reminding me about the Don Cesar. I may just have to go thee on my next trip. It's also known as the Pepto Palace due to its exterior color.

Thanks for reminding me about the Don Cesar. I may just have to go thee on my next trip. It's also known as the Pepto Palace due to its exterior color.

It is a NICE Place...and it is Pink too! :cheers:

I'll keep y'all updated!

My 2010 still does the same thing. I prefer the use of the Bluetooth audio streaming I think...I can at least use my iPhone's iPod controls to scroll through the songs/playlists, etc. (though I don't see the song/info display on the Nav screen). For the USB input, it seems to default to the "Songs" list and I just usually hit "RAND" to shuffle from it. The ML doesn't have the "depth" that my previous car had (it had a Bose Surround system); while the low range seems "flatter", the high range is actually better I think.