Question About Rx330 Tail Light Problem

Im new to this site and was hoping someone might have an answer to my question...I have a 2005 RX330 that I absolutely love and bought used. The only complaint I have is that one of my tail lights constantly goes out. But, it is not the bulb. I have replaced it several times, and it still happens. I eventually found out that if I give a very slight tap to the tail light (rear passenger side, located on the actual hatch, so the inner tail light), the the light will come back on and my warning light on my dash will go away. But, it eventually happens again. My thought is it must be a wiring issue, but a mechanic I took it too could not permanently fix it. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 3 months later...

My 2006 RX 330 just started doing the same thing. I have just over 100K miles on it. Trying to figure out how to gain access to the bulb. Given that it is intermittent and tapping on it helps, I suspect a loose socket or connector somewhere.

To remove the taillight housing, you need to gain access to the 4 nuts (on the inside of the car) that hold the housings in place. For the housings on the rear 1/4 panels, open the tailgate, peak around the corner (to the area directly behind the lights) and you'll see a 3"x4" panel. Pry it off with a flathead screwdriver. Then peak inside and you'll see the back of the taillight. You'll also see 4 tapped screws (i believe a brass color?) coming from the back of the lights. At the point where they meet the car, you'll see a nut securing each. Remove the nuts (making sure not to drop them down into the annex of the car). Now the lights will pull right out. Then do your thing... <_<

For the taillights on the tailgate itself, you'll need to remove the interior panels to gain access to the back of the housings. You'll again see the tapped screws and nuts. Remove all...

• 2 months later...

Hello, I also have a 2005 that all of the sudden last week, the tail light on the rear door began to work at random with the turning on and off of the lights. I removed the panel to replace the light when it wasn't working and by the time I had the panel off, it had started working again. I took out the bulb and toyed with the wiring to see if I could get to go out again and it wouldn't. I left off the panel for a few days and drove normally with no problems and now have replaced the panel and it's started again.

Has anyone found a solution to this or a specific connection that may need looked at?

• 4 years later...

I have a 2006 Rx 330 Lexus and my tail lights for some reason the big ones will come on only if their are not on auto setting but the small ones won't...how can I tell if its a short or the bulbs out and sometimes I have to tap it on the drivers side only and the big one comes one but the small ones still doesn't.. I dont know what to do to figure out if its the bulb or a short and if its the bulb am I able to change it out with out buying the whole assembly part