125 Point Inspection On Used 1995 Lexus

1995ls400

It's probably a $200 service That will reveal $2000 in repairs - so don't be shocked when you get the list :o It's a good idea, I think.

If you're and avid DIY'er, then you'd have fun with the upcoming projects and could save %50-70.

How many miles? Does it have service records from Lexus or other shop?

And, what problems do you suspect?

Welcome to LOC :D

:lol: I really don't think it's necessary. The Lexus dealer is going to pressure you into replacing all sorts parts if they are not like brand new. Don't be surprised if they tell you the car needs $7000 worth of work.

Definitely check if the t-belt has been replaced (most important)

Other things you can do it yourself, like the oil, trans fluid, engine sound, etc.

I bought mine with 100k, not one problem in 10k miles, except the Nakamichi headunit went out (bought used at junkyard for $150). I bought the car late at night, didnt even bother checking it, just drove a few feet and deceided to buy it.

This is something you might want to have a Lexus/Toyota independent shop look at or your Local lexus dealer. They know what to look for, unlike your Joe auto garage they wouldn't know what to do.

JPI

This is something you might want to have a Lexus/Toyota independent shop look at or your Local lexus dealer. They know what to look for, unlike your Joe auto garage they wouldn't know what to do.

JPI

JP1,

do you have a referal lists of good shops in major cities? that will be very helpful!

VFM,

it may be a good ideal to pin a 'referal' list or a database for folks to add on any good lexus shops they have good experience past and present.

JPI

Here in KC...

Exact Performance (independent Lexus/Acura shop). They inspected my car before I bought it - $50. Thorough inspection and owner is Ex-lexus certified technician.

They do a good job and save you 20% or more......

Wait a minute guys. We're going to have to get this thing authorized by the Admins, Management and my fellow moderators. since it will generate money for these shops, and if they're not authorized like JPI is, I don't think it will be wise or fair for those who are.

VMF, would you like to start an inquiry in our section?

thanks for all the comments. I guess I should have gotten one before I bought the car. anyway the car is in great shape.

I bought the car from a local used car lot, actually right beside the lexus delaer. The car had 127K miles and one local owner, so I felt pretty confident before I bought the car. the used car place performed the 120K mile service (belts, fluids etc)

I went to Lexus yesterday and had them pull all the records on the car. Luckily, the previous owners took great care of the car, they even went in for routine car washes.

I guess te real problem I am having is getting used to the car. I used to drive a 95 lincoln town car (it was totaled) and it is taking me a little while to get used to driving the LS400. the LS shifts, starts, accelerates and even feels differently than my lincoln and that is the real issue I facing. Trying to adjust my driving from a town car to the LS.

I am just not really sure what is common for a Lexus and what isn't? It just appears the LS rides rough in the city. going slow it kind of vibrates, and it has hard down shifts. On the highway it purrs like a kitten

These are things that I think I need though,

1) tire balance ~$54 at dealership. are they that good?

2) flush transmission fluid $69 (I don't think the car dealer put right fluid in transmission at 120K service) It seems kind of rough down shifting in the city)

3) replace pulley on belt train $120 (having squeaking sound in front of car)

The Lexus place said my car is driving normal so I just need to get used to "perfection".

thanks again.

These are things that I think I need though,

1) tire balance ~$54 at dealership. are they that good?

2) flush transmission fluid $69 (I don't think the car dealer put right fluid in transmission at 120K service) It seems kind of rough down shifting in the city)

3) replace pulley on belt train $120 (having squeaking sound in front of car)

The Lexus place said my car is driving normal so I just need to get used to "perfection".

thanks again.

Wheel balance is important so get that done and..

Definately get the trans fluid drained. I assume the $69 is also from the Lexus dealer which is actually a "pan drain". this will get 2-3 quarts out of system and will help tremendously! Always use Toyota T-IV fluid for tranny, it has synthetic additives and is good fluid. All they do is unbolt the drain plug, so if you have some DIY skills like changing oil - you can do this yourself for <$15 each time. I would suggest a pan drain every week or so for 3 weeks to get clean fluid throughout the system. I will shift MUCH BETTER. :D

Might as well change the serpentine belt as you change the pulley - unless it looks new!

Hey - $250 and your car is up to specs! :lol: Not bad.....

Definitely check out the strength of the timing and serpentine belts. Most of the time, the belt needs a little lubrication to stop squeeling.

95LS400:

Could you describe your transmission issue in details? I have to agree with 99LSguy--changing the ATF fluid to Toyota Synthetics could resolve the hard shifting, but not 100% sure.

Lexus and their modos--"perfection"!

what do you use to lubricate the belt? :unsure:

My transmission problems... :unsure:

When driving at slow speeds below 40 I can feel the transmission shift into and out of gear. Even above 40 I can still feel, however less at higher speeds, shift into and out of gear. It feels kind of like running over a small rock.There is a slight bump/buck when it shifts. Is this normal? I have always heard these cars have seamless transmissions...

I don't drive hard, but when I do occasionally see what the car can do and give it a little gas, the shifts don't seem as noticable. Is this common? :huh:

actually my problem was worse. It used to have two slight knocks/bumps when it down shifted from 4th to 3rd (about 60 mph). I had a guy at the lexus dealership test drive the car with me yesterday. He said it felt like it was a loose transmission support, so he put it on the rack to see. the supports seemed fine so he adjusted the shifter cable. It seems to have helped out a little.

I think I will indeed change my fluids and see if it gets better. It will be at the dealership though, I am not automotive inclined. :)

The place where I bought my car gave me a 30 day warranty on the AC/trans/engine, so I am trying to make sure things are okay before it runs out. :)

I think I will indeed change my fluids and see if it gets better. It will be at the dealership though, I am not automotive inclined. :)

The place where I bought my car gave me a 30 day warranty on the AC/trans/engine, so I am trying to make sure things are okay before it runs out. :)

See if they'll do a a couple of pan drains while they're at it - example: after the first pan drain leave in on the rack (up a little of course) and run engine while moving through the gears a few times; now that the new fluid is cycled in, stop engine and do another pan drain to get more "fresh T-IV" in the tranny. My thought is the may just charge "half price" again for the second pan drain.

Or get a good deal on complete transmission flush using a machine - they'll know! You need to get that "wrong ATF" outta there - what did they use?

Sounds like you have some good service people at Lexus trying to help.