Starter Problem

BlackSC4

i hope you connected all of the wires that go to the starter. because your electrics check out. the solonoid clicks and thats the switch right? so if there is no power there all it will do is click........ maybe the big fat wire from the battery is no good? try check resistance........just a suggestion

will do. i'll let you guys know after i actually find some time. thanks for the helps.

I've got to ask. Did you have this problem with the Optima installation or after the Optima Battery installation? If the starter worked before, it's your battery--since you mentioned the terminals were too big. from my experience, the clicking noise comes from the terminals making contact with the battery. Your terminals have to make a complete connection with the battery otherwise it will click or just not start. I would suggest stopping by a Walmart or Pepboys, pick up the right battery for your car, and see if that solves your problem.

The only other part I can think of that might be the solution is the Alternator.

I have a question and think it may be starter related. When I first start my car of the morning- as soon as it starts and I release the key- there is a continueing sound for about 2 seconds. It sounds like an electric motor running or something. It never does it again throughout the day. My starter sounds fine. Any clues?

Also- when I first start it in the morning- there is an occasional low toned "popping" sound that occurs in 2-5 second intervals from under the hood for about 45 seconds.

Any clues on this?

I am assuming nothing major, as it has been doing this for a while and has not gotten any worse.

would the alternator affect the starter's spin?

vmf, you been helping me so much that you even know the sequence of my problem :lol:    but i think i will need those diagrams, if you dont mind..

It could. If your alternator refuses to start, your starter won't spinn on its own after ignition. It will keep on choking. How far is it spinning; is it making complete rotations or stopping in mid session?

Think of the alternator as the heart of a car. The starter acts as a jolt of electricity to the alternator.

If you haven't used this technique before.

If your clicking noise has stopped, try taking the stick end of a broom, and hitting the extreme bottom of the engine. Location: Car's left side, down, silver metal pan looking thing. Hit it a couple of times. Then turn the ignition. See if it turns over.

heh, looks like a russian method of fixin stuff. this is how i fix my computer once in a while when i'm gettin*BLEEP*ed at it.

anyway here is a link to diagrams , let me know if pix are bad and i will redo them. i will add wiring diagram later today.

http://public.fotki.com/VMF/cars/lexus/diagrams/

heh, looks like a russian method of fixin stuff. this is how i fix my computer once in a while when i'm gettin*BLEEP*ed at it.

anyway here is a link to diagrams , let me know if pix are bad and i will redo them. i will add wiring diagram later today.

http://public.fotki.com/VMF/cars/lexus/diagrams/

:lol: No, it's a way of stimulating the siloniod inside the starter.

my car's power went dead while i'm driving. I had the battery checked at Pepboys and appeared to be fine. So i figure it's the alternator been giving me problems, and i had it replaced right away at Pepboys.

since then, signs of check engine, check radiator, check battery... etc been ramdomly appear on the instrument dash board. Few days later, the same thing happened to me again. Fortunately, the cop was kind enough to give me a jump and have the cop followed me home just in case the car's power went off again. And i made it home without any incident.

The next morning, i start the car without any problem. what puzzle me is that since both battery and alternator wasn't cause of the problem, what would it be?

Is it possible that some electronic devices have been draining the power away. That's my thought, cause i have a portable Ipod charging within the car at all time while i am driving.

By UCF3 : I'm thinking Pepboys didn't reset your computer. If you have a combination wrench set at home, I would suggest removing the negative terminal off the battery. Leave it unhooked for two minutes, and then reconnect it. That will reset your electronics on your car. Be advised, you're going to have to reprogram your clock and radio stations, since it's doing it for the entire system.

Ok, i'm thinking i have the same problem with the relay fuse. But my car started clicking after it dies off on the road and i need a jump to get the car running again. Every time before the car dies off, lights from the a/c, radio and instrusment dash board's lights start flashing ramdomly.

So it's the computer needed to be restart or the relay fuse needed to be replace?

check the terminals, the signs that you have are of a dying battery, also ask pepboys to check the voltage when the engine is running to make sure ur alternator is ok. they should do it with (lights, ac, radio on) and without load

okay, i well stayed up all night til 6 am in the morning this morning and i finally fixed the starter problem. it was a blown out solenoid, the one not attached to the starter. i couldnt find where that was located, so i bypassed the solenoid and hooked the starter straight to my powercable, like how those american carrs use to be. but now i have a worst problem. a very very bad one that makes no sense to me. the car turns over now but it wont start! so i pulled the covers back out and did another compression test. this is my compression results:

2 of the cylinders yielded 150psi, which is great

1cylinder yielded 180 psi, which is even better

3cylinders yielded no pressure

1cylinder pushed the compression tester to 10psi then back down.

1cylinder actually sucked air in!!

so now i'm hoping that this sounds familiar to at least a few people. i'll post this in the sc forum too, just in case someone there knows a thing or two about compressions. thanks any thoughts.

i am gettin fuel and spark.