Starter Problem

BlackSC4

hey LS guys, i'm from the sc forum, if you dont mind me just posting a topic because i didn't get much response from the sc forum. well i have a 92 sc400 and my starter died out while doing the compression test. it just clicks but does not turn over. i replaced the starter, and made sure the battery is strong. same symptoms, any ideas?

i had a similer problem some months ago when i disconected the battery to do some regular maintence ie...headlight bulbs, plugs, ect.....when i got everthing back together and tried start the car all i heard was click click click. i initially thought it was my starter but on closer inspection it was just the battery, it didn't have enough juice to start the car for whatever reason. to make a long story short i just replaced the battery and it fired right up.

99lsguy, yeah i saw the ST relay, it's the same on the sc's. i swapped it with another existing identical relay in the fuse box. that didn't do the job. and i have brand new terminals as i have recently replaced my power and ground cable.

silvermate, yeah i'll get another battery since mines is old anyways, but i jumped the car whiel trying to start it.

i dont think compression test has anything to do with it. but get a scanner and check ur ECM for error codes. even if the engine light is not on they might be there. if this is not gonna help then you should look into swapping starter ECU with another one, just for the try. i dont have electrical diagrams for your car but i have 1996 LS400 so we have the same engine but i still not sure if the data i'm gonna give u will be liek urz

but its worhth a try error codes and then we will troubleshoot more

BlackSC4, welcome to the other side. :lol: How tights are your terminals to the battery. If it's clicking, and everything lights up on the dash, it's most likely your battery that's not tight enough.

BlackSC4, welcome to the other side. :lol: How tights are your terminals to the battery. If it's clicking, and everything lights up on the dash, it's most likely your battery that's not tight enough.

That's what I STILL think!!

Crank those puppies on and give'em a twist too :D

thanks for the welcome! if the LS people dont mind, i'll be joining their forum since their is more active responders. but yeah i just bought a new battery too! it's the optima $200 battery. the terminals are on pretty tight, i had to hammer it in since the battery terminal was a little fat.

hey, did you try your starter b4 you installed it?

manual said you should test it b4 installing it. as to the ECU, there is no separate ECU for it instead it is connected to the body ECU and ECM via ST. just to make sure this is not st make sure there is continuity between terminals 1 and 2, they are the ones that located like this 1| |2 while number 3| is below and no continuity between 3 and 5 which are 3-|5 . check the operation as well

apply poweer to ternianls 1 and 2 and check that there is continuity between 3 and 5. if it all ok then might be smth else. also this click ing troiubles me. did it just click but doesnt spin at all? click means that the pinion gear comes out and connects to fly wheel. sometimes thie pinion gear is broken and starter just spins. let me know of the results and specifics of the clicking

it jsut clicks but does not spin. same symptom with the old and new starters. so with the terminal test you posted, this is on the main ecu right? i just check for conintuity following your guidelines? thanks a lot for the help.

did you ever check to see if somethign fell in a cylinder and is locking it up?

a new starter usually always works

does it start to turn over like a machine gun after a while?

btw you payed too much for the optima

sam's club has tehm for 190 canadian ,so about 150 usd

yeah thats what i was talking about. but i still not sure if your problem is electrical or mechanical, but just in case i will follow 99ls and will make a pic of a wiring diagram for the starter.

well, i didn't get continuity when hooking up 1&2 and 3&5 but i did get continuity when connecting power to 1&2 to check 3&5. i did that for two of the identical relays in my car, and both yield the same results.

somehow im doubting its the relay, now that i've interchange of them already and all 3 gives me the same continuity result. and nothing is stuck either, i dont hear any "machine gun" noises or metal rubbing against metal.

vmf, i MADE SURE the pinions were out when installin the new starter. do you think it's possible that i got another broken starter??? that would suck soooooo much because taking out these starters is far from easy.

i know i have same engine:)

its a real pain to change it. but i rememer some1 did it wihtout taking the engine apart , but through the hole in front of the engine, i'm not sure if its possible but i will not say its not