Infamoues White Wire

yank30265

1990 ls400; lights dim when u hit the brakes turn on fan; looked at the white wire everyone talks about on the driver side hinge in the trunk; i cant find any cracks; BUT.. today I added brake fluid to the res. because It was low; and i need to change the brakes. Drove the car up the road and when i hit the brakes the dash lights went out my radio popped and the antilock brake light came on; 1 -2 secs. car kept driving and it did it again the next brake pedal hit; I pulled over and looked at the res.. the cap has wires going to it for the level sensor in the res. and they look flimsy; going to a flimsy connector with more flimsy wires; anyone ever had any problems with this ? I moved the wires around and it hasn't happened again Im thinking broken wire in the coolant level sensor wires????

When the white wire in the trunk hinge breaks, it causes the R light to illuminate whey brakes are applied. It also causes shifting issues. Dimming lights is caused by something else. I didn't even know 90's had anti-lock brakes.

When the white wire in the trunk hinge breaks, it causes the R light to illuminate whey brakes are applied. It also causes shifting issues. Dimming lights is caused by something else. I didn't even know 90's had anti-lock brakes.

Like Denny said, dimming lights are caused by something else ... perhaps in the charging system. With the 90 LS I drove for over 13 years, dimming lights generally meant that the alternator was on its way out. Is your power steering pump leaking fluid on to the alternator? If it is get the power steering pump fixed ASAP or at least make a plastic drip shield to protect the alternator.

And yes, all LS400's and all other Lexus LS cars, including the 1990, had anti-lock brakes as standard equipment. Maybe Denny is thinking of traction control which was an option on the LS until the 1998 model year when it became standard.

I had this happen to me.....Check you battery connections(wiring too) very carefully.

Like Denny said, dimming lights are caused by something else ... perhaps in the charging system. With the 90 LS I drove for over 13 years, dimming lights generally meant that the alternator was on its way out. Is your power steering pump leaking fluid on to the alternator? If it is get the power steering pump fixed ASAP or at least make a plastic drip shield to protect the alternator.

And yes, all LS400's and all other Lexus LS cars, including the 1990, had anti-lock brakes as standard equipment. Maybe Denny is thinking of traction control which was an option on the LS until the 1998 model year when it became standard.