2004 Ls 430 Won't Talk To The Key!

mannye

About three days ago, I tried to get in my LS and the door would not open. I noticed that the "wake up" sequence (interior and outside mirror lights coming on, etc) had not happened and I thought I might have drained the battery somehow, but when I clicked the key, the locks opened.

Then I tried to start the car as usual with the key in my pocket, but the ignition would not turn. I had to insert the key to get it going.

Anyone know what might be going on? This is happening with BOTH keys, so I don't think it's a battery problem, plus both keys can still lock, unlock and start the car if I use the buttons.

If it is not just the steering wheel lock requiring some movement of the wheel, try holding the key fob up close to the dash to see if it will start.

It sounds like the Smart Key system has been deactivated -- page 34 of your owners manual.

I will bet you are right on this one Jim. Accidentally pressed the cancel button. Good post. You da' man when it comes to digging through the manuals! :cheers:

It sounds like the Smart Key system has been deactivated -- page 34 of your owners manual.

I will bet you are right on this one Jim. Accidentally pressed the cancel button. Good post. You da' man when it comes to digging through the manuals! :cheers:

Thanks for the replies! I will check the button, and if it's that, proceed to interrogate the children to find out which one of the little whippersnappers was "exploring" under the dash. I did not even know there were buttons under there. I REALLY gotta read the manual one of these years.

Thanks for the replies! I will check the button, and if it's that, proceed to interrogate the children to find out which one of the little whippersnappers was "exploring" under the dash. I did not even know there were buttons under there. I REALLY gotta read the manual one of these years.

It's called RTFM. Read The "Friendly" Manual. ;)

Anyway, do let us know what you find.