Timing Belt Replacement

jlifton

one thing you need to know to change the timing belt that the instructions didn't provide is how to take off the crank shaft pulley bolt. you shoudl either get an air compressor or use a strong pipe, connect it to a strong wrench and attach that to the cranshaft boolt, then crank the car. the bolt pops right off.

its a scary method. but i did it differenty and i this i said about that. what i did is i was pulling the wrent while my friend went underneath the car and stuck the screwdriver in the flywheell. i think this is more safe and its less scary for novise people since timing marks will not move.

well it all depends on the lenght of the wrench, but yes i did pulled it manually:) i didnt have air comrpressor handy and elctric screwdriver was too big to fit in there so i had no choise:)

lextreme anytime:)

you must be a very big guy vmf, i yanked that thing with all my might whiel my friend yanked the other way on the camshaft pulleys, and it didn't even budge. and did you just tighten by hand afterwards? for others, i suggest using permatex's loctite, it'll make sure your bolt wont fall off while driving.

i'm not that big and it was pretty ez to do to be honest with u. i was expecting it to be much harder, but only after 3 hard pulls it started to move. dont forget that my flywheel had a screwdriver stuck in it to prevent it from moving.

FYI: this was posted somewhere[i had saved]:

Thanks for all the great advice! I got the job done. I held the pulley by taking a piece of angle iron. drilling a hole in it, putting a long bolt, with the correct compliment of washers on either side, into one of the threaded holes on the pulley. I then put a piece of wood between the pulley and the bottom "L" of the angle iron where it contacted the side of the pulley. I then braced the angle iron against the concrete floor. I went and bought the correct 22mm socket (just to be safe) and, with a 24" breaker bar, easily romoved the bolt. I found that I could put the bolt back on using the same piece, I simply had to drill a hole in the opposite end and brace it on the opposite side of the car.

Not sure that I have described this in a way you can visualize, but I thought I would try. Maybe it will be of some help to someone.

Thanks again for everyone's advice

Jere

P.S. I bent the bolt that I threaded in the hole a little bit, but I don't think think this would have happened if I had used the correct size washers that fit tightly. It did not bend enough to get weak or be difficult to remove.