Transmission Rebuild

I have a 99 Lexus ES300 auto transmission with 126k in it. It was going smooth when last friday, while driving, the vehicle slowed down. I can see the engine running at 3000rpm and move even to 5000rpm when i press the accelerator but it was moving as if a the clutch is pressed down in a manual transmission vehicle. I stopped it, turned off ignition and swithc it on again. It was driving normal for another mile and the gear shift was not proper. It ran at 2500 rpm and when it shifts gear it moved to 4000 rpm and came down to 1500. And then it acted as if there was no gear in the vehicle.

Took it to a Royal transmission and they are telling that we need to rebuid the transmission and going to cost 2000-2500.

1. Anyone had this problem before?

2. Will it cost this much to change the transmission?

I was about to sell it this week as I'm moving and this happened :(

You might try a drain and fill, and replace the filter and see if it helps....Your quote is actually pretty cheap...

... I stopped it, turned off ignition and swithc it on again. It was driving normal for another mile...

Took it to a Royal transmission and they are telling that we need to rebuid the transmission and going to cost 2000-2500.

I am not familiar with this specific transmission; however, there is a computer that controls the shift points of most transmissions. Sometimes they become defective with age and have odd failures like this. In any event, taking a transmission that is shifting poorly to a transmission shop is asking for trouble. (They probably never saw a malfunctioning transmission that didn't need a good rebuilding.)

My son had an experience with his 1991 Honda Accord's transmission, where it began shifting in a haphazard manner. He took it to an AAmco transmission place where they kept the car all day only to tell him his transmission oil was 'burned' and the computer was 'throwing every code in the book'. He was informed that rebuilding the transmission would cost $1800 minimum and up to $2300 depending on what was wrong with it. He ended up fixing the problem by replacing the transmission control module with a used unit off ebay for $50.

• 1 month later...

I have a 99 Lexus ES300 auto transmission with 126k in it. It was going smooth when last friday, while driving, the vehicle slowed down. I can see the engine running at 3000rpm and move even to 5000rpm when i press the accelerator but it was moving as if a the clutch is pressed down in a manual transmission vehicle. I stopped it, turned off ignition and swithc it on again. It was driving normal for another mile and the gear shift was not proper. It ran at 2500 rpm and when it shifts gear it moved to 4000 rpm and came down to 1500. And then it acted as if there was no gear in the vehicle.

1. Anyone had this problem before?

2. Will it cost this much to change the transmission?

I was about to sell it this week as I'm moving and this happened :(