Stuborn Seller, Good Price?

Psychowu46

Hey guys, i found a 5sp 95 sc300 with approx 65000 miles. The seller is asking for 15500. i offered him 12500 which is the blue book price, just to see his reaction. he is very set on keeping the price at 15500. is that overpriced? i don't think that's a very fair price, myself.

To me that seems like a lot of money. There is a premium to try and buy the 5-spd. However, some sellers are unaware of that. It seems that this seller knows it's relatively rare compared to the auto sc300. In my opinion, I think that is overpriced. The seller is probably in a good position to put it at that price. Some reasons could be that he does know it's rare or he doesn't need to sell in a hurry.

u think i should offer 13500-14000? i wanna kept it under 14000... i'm not really desperate so should i jsut wait it out? i am checking out another sc300 this weekend, but it's an auto 97 with 65000 miles, but it's also going for 15500.. so i dunno, u think it's worth it to just go manual now? cause eventually, in a few years, i'd want to drop in 2jzgte... just in need of advice =)

sounds like hes getting desperate to sell. which means...time to bring the price down even more. he WILL budge. just haggle alot. find little specs that are wrong with the car. the fact that he is getting new tires and a tune up PLUS lowering it down 1grand means he really needs to sell.

14500 isn't too bad. If you want to get it lower it'll be a little tricky. If you offer too low, the owner will ignore you. It's hard to say but maybe if you offer 13500 because the KBB price is 12500 and since he did the tune up and tires you'll offer 13500. Calvin L is right; you should find all the little problems with the car. The only bad thing about that is that you'll be living with those little problems you find until you fix it. Some common problems may be: worn trunk shocks, driver's seat leather is cracking, the rubber on the clutch pedal (or even shift knob) is worn - hence aggressive driving, abnormal noises, dents, coolant/oil quality bad, engine looks dirty, air vents cracked, cd player skipping, etc.

BTW when you offer 13500 the owner will be *BLEEP*ed and probably say no. Perhaps if you tell him -you'll think about it while you go check out the 97 sc300- he'll consider 14200. That'll probably be your best deal. Even though the sc300 5-spd is rare, I don't think there is a big market for the 5-spd. The U.S. don't favor manuals (they don't know how to drive one), plus it's a "luxury" car- just about all the Mercedes are automatics. There is still this 5-spd at a used dealership for over a year now.

I'm not a good negotiator but my mom is. My family drove for 4 hours just to take a look at a 92 5-spd. KBB was 6500, asking price 8000. Basically we amplified the problems and my mom got it down to 5500. Too bad my car ended up being in quite a few problems. But thanks to you guys most of them are gone!

hey guys, i appreciate all the advice u guys are giving me, seriously! yeah the owner is pretty set on 14500... yeah, i will defeinitely check out the little details and try to get it lower. i will check out the car this weekend. i carfaxed it... it said there was a faulty odometer report. it went from 15k to 6k and then in two years it shot up to 30k. carfax said it might be a misread when the data was input. but carfax said the car still qualifies for insurance if the odometer was rolledback. iono, not too big of a deal here? also, it used to be a lease vehicle? any comments?

Leased vehicles are pretty well maintained. Dealerships force owners to keep the car in top notch condition, especially the 12 and 24month ones. I was forced to keep my G20 in top notch condition, and when I was planning to get a new one, the dealer was about to take close to 8k becasue of the mods on it.

Have you checked out the dealer report on it yet?

That price does seem a little steep. KBB private party value is coming back with $11-12k. Even the used car retail is around $14-14,5. I think you should wait, but if you really want it, then take it at 14k.

Does he have any mods to it?

BTW when you offer 13500 the owner will be *BLEEP*ed and probably say no. Perhaps if you tell him -you'll think about it while you go check out the 97 sc300- he'll consider 14200. That'll probably be your best deal. Even though the sc300 5-spd is rare, I don't think there is a big market for the 5-spd. The U.S. don't favor manuals (they don't know how to drive one), plus it's a "luxury" car- just about all the Mercedes are automatics. There is still this 5-spd at a used dealership for over a year now.

I'm not a good negotiator but my mom is. My family drove for 4 hours just to take a look at a 92 5-spd. KBB was 6500, asking price 8000. Basically we amplified the problems and my mom got it down to 5500. Too bad my car ended up being in quite a few problems. But thanks to you guys most of them are gone!

haha dude, i know how that tune goes. my mom is the craziest ultimate super haggler you will ever meet in your lifetime. it may be embarrassing but my mom gets her refunds, complaints, and haggling done 90% of the time.