The Right Alternator

stroker

Took my LS to Autozone to check alternator this morning and they said not putting out sufficient voltage to sustain engine and accessories at idle and not enough even at highway speeds.. My question is they have the replacement they say is rated @100Amps with a round pluggin and dealer says it comes in either 100Amps or 145Amps with either a round pluggin or a kind of rectangular pluggin.. I havent taken it off yet so I dont know about the pluggin connection yet..Which is right 100 or 145, round or rectangular..or are they both right??? 1991 LS400. Thanks, Bobby

Took my LS to Autozone to check alternator this morning and they said not putting out sufficient voltage to sustain engine and accessories at idle and not enough even at highway speeds.. My question is they have the replacement they say is rated @100Amps with a round pluggin and dealer says it comes in either 100Amps or 145Amps with either a round pluggin or a kind of rectangular pluggin.. I havent taken it off yet so I dont know about the pluggin connection yet..Which is right 100 or 145, round or rectangular..or are they both right??? 1991 LS400. Thanks, Bobby

The amperage rating of the alt probably depends upon your accessories. Any special features on your car that might demand a heavy-duty alt? Do you have heated seats?

Honestly if you have the original alt on your car, I would just have it rebuilt and keep it original. However, if you do buy aftermarket, go with a more premium brand (usually not at AZ).

I mentioned in my previous post that the problem is simply the brushes. The Denso brand OE alternator is incredibly reliable - bearings, commutator, windings, etc. and the only damage is the brushes. Cheap.

You run to Autozone to speak with some bonehead there in the hopes of exchanging the alternator for big bucks. And now you think there are two different ones. Problem.

So take my advice or not, but I assure you it's the best advice you'll get all day. Remove your alternator and have a competent local auto-electric shop put brushes in it. $40.00 probably, if they are honest.

Or ignore.

Thanks "landar" for replying, I dont have heated seats or anything extra special just the usual power acc. I went to AZone just to have it tested and see what kind of alt they carried and they said they are all rebuilt and some cores come from Denso some from other makers but all are rebuilt the same. Im not sure if its the original on my car but if it is, it might just be tired after 240,000 miles and previous leaking PS valve. I found a couple of places that sell new alts for under 200. Thant sounds like a good deal considering Azone wants $158 plus core for a rebuilt one. What do you think?? Thanks again, Bobby

The amperage rating of the alt probably depends upon your accessories. Any special features on your car that might demand a heavy-duty alt? Do you have heated seats?

Honestly if you have the original alt on your car, I would just have it rebuilt and keep it original. However, if you do buy aftermarket, go with a more premium brand (usually not at AZ).

I was told buy a rebuilder that because of the PS leak I had, brushes would not be the only parts needing replacement. He mentioned stators, windings, diodes all of which means not too much to me. He suggested I buy a rebuilt or new one. And by the way he does not sell them, so he's not trying to con me.. Thanks, Bobby

I mentioned in my previous post that the problem is simply the brushes. The Denso brand OE alternator is incredibly reliable - bearings, commutator, windings, etc. and the only damage is the brushes. Cheap.

You run to Autozone to speak with some bonehead there in the hopes of exchanging the alternator for big bucks. And now you think there are two different ones. Problem.

So take my advice or not, but I assure you it's the best advice you'll get all day. Remove your alternator and have a competent local auto-electric shop put brushes in it. $40.00 probably, if they are honest.

Or ignore.

Thanks RDM Thats what it looks like from underneath, havent taken it off yet. Only went to AZone to have it tested. Will look for OEM. Thanks, Bobby

Go somewhere else. There is only one alternator available for the '90-'94 LS400 and it has the round plug on it in case people are asking, but they shouldn't.