2008 Rx 350 Side Mirror Turn Signal Wiring

I want to install turn signal side mirrors. Does anyone know if the turn signal wiring already exists in the 2008 RX 350 mirrors or do I have to wire them from scratch? Thanks in advance for any input.. Indi

I want to install turn signal side mirrors. Does anyone know if the turn signal wiring already exists in the 2008 RX 350 mirrors or do I have to wire them from scratch? Thanks in advance for any input.. Indi

The mirrors are not wired for turn signals as it was not an option.

I think it is unlikely that there is a provision for signal mirrors on your 2008 RX like on some other newer Lexus vehicles since the 2008 Japanese home market Toyota Harrier appears to have had fender mounted side turn signals instead of signal mirrors -- at least as shown by the 2008 Harrier photos I'm looking at on the Internet. Its been documented on another forum that some newer Lexus cars that didn't come with signal mirrors use the same electrical connectors for the mirrors as Japanese market cars that did come with signal mirrors. In those, the US models don't have the wiring for the signal mirrors but the pins for signal mirrors are in the electrical connectors for the mirrors and the pins can be activited by connecting wires to them. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check the mirror electrical connectors for unused pins that you might adapt.

If your main goal is simply to have side mounted turn signals, you could have a body shop cut holes in your fenders for fendor mounted turn signals. The side turn signals from a Scion would probably work well if you want to use Toyota brand parts that are easy to get and replace if one ever gets broken. I mounted side turn signals on my first LS400 shortly after I bought it in 1990 back when I was a lot more "visually challenged" than I am now. The body shop didn't charge much for cutting and finishing the holes so they wouldn't rust -- maybe $50-$75. I ran the wires myself ... probably way easier to wire up fender mounted turn signals than signal mirrors. A photo of that old LS400 with the side turn signals is at http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=803

post-2157-128008617989_thumb.jpg

post-2157-128008621191_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a lot of work :) I was hoping it was easy on the 2008, Oh well! Thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.. Indi

I'm currently working on wiring up turn signal/puddle light mirror covers on my 07 400h and it IS a LOT of work. I worked a whole day and didn't finish one side so far (and I've done it before on my Prius). Got the passenger side mirror cover installed and wire run through the mirror to the door panel. There's not much room to pull new wires through the mirror's wire sleeve (it's not pre-wired for anything not factory installed). In fact, I had to use a ground wire from the power mirror motors since I couldn't squeeze more than two wires through. Next challenge: pull the wires through the door grommets into the dash area. I imagine it will take 3-4 full days to finish the project.

Sounds like a lot of work :) I was hoping it was easy on the 2008, Oh well! Thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.. Indi

I'm currently working on wiring up turn signal/puddle light mirror covers on my 07 400h and it IS a LOT of work. I worked a whole day and didn't finish one side so far (and I've done it before on my Prius). Got the passenger side mirror cover installed and wire run through the mirror to the door panel. There's not much room to pull new wires through the mirror's wire sleeve (it's not pre-wired for anything not factory installed). In fact, I had to use a ground wire from the power mirror motors since I couldn't squeeze more than two wires through. Next challenge: pull the wires through the door grommets into the dash area. I imagine it will take 3-4 full days to finish the project.

maseace, to where are you going to wire the directional wires to?

Instrument panel junction box connector 1D pin 7 (Left +) and 1C pin 9 (Right +). Looking at the "System Circuit > BODY ELECTRICAL > Turn Signal and Hazard Warning Light" schematic on the service manual CD.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the LED turn signal mirror project. It was more difficult with this car than the Prius that I had done before. I even had to de-pin the mirror wiring connectors to be able to remove the mirror's "guts" (motor/sensor assy) and transfer them to the new mirror cover. I didn't get the white puddle lights underneath to come on with the dome lights, so I just wired them with the turn signals. Found out after pulling the 2 positive mirror LED wires that the dome light circuit on the RX is activated backwards, by enabling the ground instead of applying +12V. I would have to take the doors and mirrors apart again and pull a third wire (not sure if there's room) to get this to work with the interior dome lights. Anyways, at least I got the turn signals wired up correctly without breaking anything (except for the two unnecessary plastic alignment posts on each door panel that are impossible to reinstall without breaking!).

post-115637-128133385801_thumb.jpg

post-115637-12813338636_thumb.jpg

post-115637-128133386911_thumb.jpg

post-115637-128133387401_thumb.jpg

post-115637-128133387824_thumb.jpg

post-115637-128133388284_thumb.jpg

I got them on eBay, pre-painted with my color code for an extra $50. The paint job wasn't great (too light spray of base color coat) and I got a refund for the paint.

I bought these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Lexus-RX400H-LED-Signals-Mirror-Cover-RX-350-400-H-/190218571355?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories

These are cheaper and look the same, but don't have a paint option: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=290461758732&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D6369654368485018890

Also available in a stick-on chrome version: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=170525101063&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D6369589247432316694

Another option: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS-RX330-RX350-2003-2007-LED-SIDE-MIRROR-COVER-/250248444470?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories

Hmm, i wonder what the difference is between the ones you bought and the ones in the link after it? They look IDENTICAL but the price is, woah... much different!

• 9 months later...