Sign in to follow this  
blueshark

Removing Center Console

Recommended Posts

I have the factory plan for removing the center console, but without some texts that goes with it, i cannot remove the console out from the floor board, can somebody help me ? I will need to remove it to hid my VAIS VML module since the usb cord will be coming out of the armrest compartment.

thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you remove the upper console trim and box using the diagram I gave you in January, it should be obvious how the console frame is bolted to the floor: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62107&st=0&p=398610&fromsearch=1entry398610

You pretty much have to strip away the console trim to see the bolts and brackets holding the rear of the console frame to the floor. On the Toyota-made vehicles I've seen, the front of the console frame sort of "plugs into" the center stack frame.

I've done wiring projects in two Lexus LS400's and one Toyota Camry and didn't have to remove the console frame during the projects. It's been possible to fish wires around and under the console without having to remove the console frame. But if you really do need to remove the console frame, remove all the trim first.

By the way, the repair manuals I currently have for Toyota and Lexus cars and the ones I have had in the past do not include text instructions on doing this type of disassembly. I wish they did. I guess a certain level of knowledge on how car interiors fit together is assumed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, thank you very much for the diagram, it gave confident. Oddly, i try to do my best to remove like 40% of the pieces mentionned on the diagram, but still cannot remove the remaining 60% including the side trims off, it looks like it is plugged together in segments. My main objective of doing so is to find a place for the VML module mounting. I did find the 2 big bolts screwed on the floor inside the box compartment, but can't get onto the others screws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the diagram and related part numbers, it appears that what looks like "segments" in the sides of the console are only cosmetic lines. I've removed a console in a Lexus only once and the entire console came out in one great big unit. The design of these things are usually quite consistent among vehicles made by Toyota. For example, the console in our Lexus LS cars are held in place almost exactly the console is held in place in our Camry.

I know this seems confusing -- it was to me the time I thought I needed to remove a Lexus console (I really didn't need to) and had difficulty in finding all the bolts holding it down. I had to strip almost all the trim away from the console (wood trim, console box under the armrest, air vents, etc.) to see the bolts holding it down.

Maybe someone with actual experience with removing the console in an ES350 will reply to this thread. Or post some photos of what you are seeing and maybe that will help.

post-2157-128007800263_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see what you mean, i did remove all 6 bolts that appears to hold the console down to the floor and i pretty much can shake the console side by side, but not remove it. I wonder if it is also held with clips. If the Toyota vehicules are also assemble like that, i may want to visit the forum to see how they do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone please help, how to remove the center console Lexus es 350 2008 ? I have removed the 2 bolts under the rear vents, also 2 bolts inside the center console.

The whole unit shakes and can lift up from the back somewhat but stuck at the front. Need is to reach the parking brake cables under the console. Thanks  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this