Fan Clutch Bearing Bracket / Fan Idler Bracket

Al.

Hi Everyone,

I own a very well maintained 1998 LS400 with 110K on the ODO.

Recently the car started to make a droning noise more noticeable as I am driving it, and after intensive diagnostic work I was able to track it down to the fan clutch bearing bracket area.

My question is when I asked some auto parts stores about a price for the Fan Clutch Bearing Bracket they indicated that there is no such part is avaialable for the car but said they have what is called the fan idler bracket....so is this the same part?

Please advise.

Thanks Al

Hi Everyone,

I own a very well maintained 1998 LS400 with 110K on the ODO.

Recently the car started to make a droning noise more noticeable as I am driving it, and after intensive diagnostic work I was able to track it down to the fan clutch bearing bracket area.

My question is when I asked some auto parts stores about a price for the Fan Clutch Bearing Bracket they indicated that there is no such part is avaialable for the car but said they have what is called the fan idler bracket....so is this the same part?

Please advise.

Thanks Al

Fan idler bracket is correct. All one unit with an idler bearing and pressed-on studded pulley which the fan clutch bolts onto.

Thanks Landar.

Also kinldy can you let me know in your openion if it is hard to do the repair my self and how much time envolved as I am debating whether I should bring the part to someone to do the work as I have no idea what I am looking at from a cost point of view that is normally based on repair time?

I looked at it today quickly and it appears that there are only 4 bolts that are holding it together and not to mention that I will have to remove the fan clutch that is being held to the pulley as well by 4 nuts.

Thanks in Advnace

Al

• 5 months later...

Hey guys first post, I have had the car for about a year got it in Vegas from my brother. It's a California car in great condition and drove it to Florida.Great car . So I have been checking out this site and a guy that has tutorials on how to do work on this car and everyone's had great info, so my question is, any one know the torque ratings on the fan blade to fan clutch, fan clutch to bracket, and as well as the bolts that hold the fan clutch bracket to the engine. your info will be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys first post, I have had the car for about a year got it in Vegas from my brother. It's a California car in great condition and drove it to Florida.Great car . So I have been checking out this site and a guy that has tutorials on how to do work on this car and everyone's had great info, so my question is, any one know the torque ratings on the fan blade to fan clutch, fan clutch to bracket, and as well as the bolts that hold the fan clutch bracket to the engine. your info will be greatly appreciated.

The fan bracket on a 98-00 uses 2x14mm bolts and 2x12mm nuts. The torque spec is 12 lb-ft for the 12mm and 24 lb-ft for the 14mm.

The four nuts on the fan to bracket are 16 lb-ft.