Interior Trunk Lock

Csosz74

Hi everyone,

90' LS400, 264000 miles. I pushed the interior trunk lock into locked position. I have both the thick and the non thick key for the car (the thick is with the remote). I know I can open the lock only with the key with the

remote - master key? - but I can't push it in, seems like the lock mechanism got problem. I tried WD40, jiggle, wiggle, shake, force, everything to push the key with no luck. Is there a way to remove the small panel from the

dashboard with the lock, so I can play with that? Now I can open my trunk only unlocking the exterior lock, and even there the key seems to be hard to push in. I always have to put some lubricant every once in a

while. I checked the wear on the that key, but seems to be ok, looks exactly the same as the other one, no excessive wear is present. The battery is missing from it, can that be a problem? I don't think so, but maybe?

Thanks

A

I don't know how the small panel with the lock cylinder is held in place (it may just snap in) but you could remove the large lower panel under the dash and take a look from behind.

Attached is a diagram from http://www.toyodiy.com/ - register and you can see lots of diagrams for your car.

IMO, WD40 is very bad for locks. Use only lock lubricant.

I noticed that by the time I sold my 90 LS in 2003 after driving it 13 years that the trunk lock cylinder was becoming balky -- I think it was just wearing out.

post-2157-127997386262_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

90' LS400, 264000 miles. I pushed the interior trunk lock into locked position. I have both the thick and the non thick key for the car (the thick is with the remote). I know I can open the lock only with the key with the

remote - master key? - but I can't push it in, seems like the lock mechanism got problem. I tried WD40, jiggle, wiggle, shake, force, everything to push the key with no luck. Is there a way to remove the small panel from the

dashboard with the lock, so I can play with that? Now I can open my trunk only unlocking the exterior lock, and even there the key seems to be hard to push in. I always have to put some lubricant every once in a

while. I checked the wear on the that key, but seems to be ok, looks exactly the same as the other one, no excessive wear is present. The battery is missing from it, can that be a problem? I don't think so, but maybe?

Thanks

A

Thanks much for your reply to my post. I did not realize there was a trunk lock-out button under the dash. Seems like I learn something new about this great car every so often, even after owning it for 2 1/2 years. At any rate, your comment lead me to check further and - walla! - the problem is now solved.

Dandydon