Camshaft Timing Marks And Cam Pulley Placement

Have the 3vzfe engine on a 92 camry LE V6 and it had a blown head gasket which was really bad. Put in new rod bearings, new rings, re-honed the cylinders, re-lapped the valves, resurfaced the heads which really needed it, new valve stem seals, new water pump, timing belt and gaskets. Question is this: the manual shows that the right (or back) head installation for camshaft timing is the two marks lined up. Did that. It shows the left (or front) head installation for camshaft timing is the single marks lines up. After they are correct, there are two grooves on the camshaft pulleys for the knockout pin, one just below the timing mark and one at about 10:30 on the clock. Does the cam knockout pin go in the one (marked 3v) just below the timing mark on the pulley? Also, to get the timing marks on the pulley to align, the cams have to be turned quite a bit to get the timing marks aligned with the back plastic timing belt cover. When this happens, the single and double marks on the cams are not aligned anymore. Is this normal? I figured if they are still in sync, which they are, then it's ok to turn the cams to get the timing marks on the pulley and back cover aligned. The manuals are poor at explaining this step and I wanted to make sure before I finish putting it together. Thanks

Send me a pm with your email. I will send a doc that explains it fairly well. Don't forget, once you have everything lined up, and set. Turn the engine over with a socket on the crank. two complete revolutions. Then recheck your marks.

I'm having the same problem with mine. 93 es300. After setting the front cams to the aligning "single dots" and then setting the rear to the double dots, the belt pulley is off but my manual doesn't tell to turn the crankshaft, camshaft or anything else to get the pulley lined up with the timing mark on the #3 belt cover. I'm lost and not sure what to do from here. Did you ever find out whether to set everything to TDC, including the distributor and then turn the rear camshaft until it is lined up with the marking on the cover? Also, am I supposed to put the belt back on before I turn the rear cam? I'm sooo lost on this.

• 3 years later...