A/c Getting Warmer, Not Cooler!

Over the past few days the A/C in my 05' ES330 has been puting out warmer air than normal. However, if I put it in the recirculate mode it puts out almost freezeing cold temps.When placed back in normal mode the air returns to a tepid, less than cold air flow. My first thought is low Freon, but how could there be such a cooling differnce in the two settings if the main system is faulty.

Any and all opinions are encouraged.

Paul

Where are you located? Maybe your pulling in a lot of humid air and degrading the AC's performance. Just an idea.

I am in Des Moines, IA and it has been very hot and humid. However, this problem has been coming on for three to four weeks and the weather has been varied over that period. When I place the system in the recirculate mode it cools down almost instantly. Would it take out the humidity that fast? Thank you for your reply.

Paul

Check the circuit for the air mix door. In recirc mode, the heater core water control valve is normally shut off. While in normal mode, the controller mixes heated air with the cold air in order to very the temp or the air (it is much easier to control the amount of heated air than it is to control the temp or the evaporator core). A easy way to test this is to locate the water control valve, and manual turn it off and see if the air is coming out any colder.

I took the car into the dealer today and had them check the A/C. All components checked out fine, with vent temps at 42 degrees. The tech said that they have been haveing several complaints just like mine over the last week or two. As I mentioned, the weather has been extremely humid and hot and the tech said that the evaporator cannot keep up with the extraction of the moisture from the air in the fresh mode as well as it can in the recirculate mode. He suggested to leave the A/C in Auto position and the car will do the switching between recirc. and fresh automatically to maintain the best comfort level. (I did not know the system did this on it's own?)

My loaner for the day was a new (less than 900 miles) 2010 ES350. It too had the same A/C issue. So I guess I'll take the tech advise and hope for drier-cooler weather!

Thanks for your help you guys!! I really appreciate it.

Paul