Rx400H Ignition Key Remote “Hybrid” Project *pics*

Yes i am, just trying to figure out where. I was thinking around the door handles. there is a little black u shaped cover that would do nicely. Thankyou for the compliment, still not up to your work, but it was my first attempt. The curved wood made it more of a challenge....especially with the cherry veneer.

Oh definitely, it looks AWESOME for your first try. After doing it a couple times it gets easier and easier, and you learn what materials and methods work best. For curved pieces, you might want to try soaking the veneer in HOT water for a few hours before, and letting it bend and dry in the shape you need it. Since it's so thin, it dries pretty quickly. AND... if you want, you can apply it to the surfaces with superglue WHILE it's still a little wet. Believe it or not, superglue does the trick even when the wood's a little wet. I did that when adding wood to the center "handle" console piece in my Rx300. I liked attaching the veneer with superglue vs and other "spray" glue because it got in the grain very well and eliminated any air bubbles that would cause problems after i applied the clear finish. Try a few different methods and see what you like best. <_<

• 1 month later...

And the lights! You’ll notice that the light actually passes through the chrome “L” of the emblem as well as through the circuit piece, because it’s made out of clear plastic, with only a very, VERY thin coat of chrome. I think it’s pretty cool! B)

Light OFF (no buttons pressed)

2e2qmvk.jpg

Light ON (when a button is pressed)

fef69e.jpg

Lights OFF (no buttons pressed). The circuit area appears black here, but that's only due to the lack of external light. During the day, it looks like it does in the 20 pictures displayed above. <_<

izvn8z.jpg

Lights ON (when a button is pressed)

nd5s2h.jpg

So please tell me what you guys think! It was a fun project and definitely worth the effort. It’s definitely unique! :)

That key is OUTFRIGGINGSTANDING!!! Your work is only outdone by your passion***

Alls I can say is BEAUTIFUL MAN BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliments :)

BTW i responded to your message <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cduluk, that is absolutely amazing work. I want to echo the comments of others that I hope you share this project with Lexus's design teams. This is incredibly professional, elegant and high-end.

One question: I may have missed it in your description, but did you use that 'soft rubbery paint' on the hard plastic of the key that I remember from one of your earlier projects? The key looks 'softer' than mine.

Cduluk, that is absolutely amazing work. I want to echo the comments of others that I hope you share this project with Lexus's design teams. This is incredibly professional, elegant and high-end.

One question: I may have missed it in your description, but did you use that 'soft rubbery paint' on the hard plastic of the key that I remember from one of your earlier projects? The key looks 'softer' than mine.

Thanks for the compliment! :) I did indeed use the soft-touch paint for the shells. Not only is it incredibly soft, but DURABLE! It's been a few months since it was completed, and there isn't a single scratch or abrasion on it. It's about 10x as resistant to wear with this coating on it. <_< Definitely the "coolest" thing i've done to this car. Wherever i go, i have people asking me about the key. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow amazing that you have the skills and wherewithall to do something like this!!! Very impressive.

I have a question. I need to find replacement ignition key remote for the 2008 RX400H that I just purchased. Do you have any tips/insight on where to get one?

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Do you have "at least" one master key for your RX? To make a new master key, your dealer needs at least one old master key (with the buttons, not just the valet key). If so, you can buy a used remote from ebay (one for the 2004-2009 RX330/350/400h only) which you can bring to your dealer. For $35 they can re-program it to your car. Then, you can purchase a new "shell" which can be cut to your car. Also caution that there are a LOT of fake key shells online and on ebay. The plastic on these aftermarket key shells are poorly made and they may break easily. I would buy a shell from here:

http://www.factorylexusparts.com/servlet/the-276/LEXUS-KEY-SHELL/Detail

While purchasing the key shell from here, e-mail them your car's VIN number and they will cut the blade for free (you just have to ask)! I've bought several from them and they're 100% original Lexus key shells.

There are some key remotes on eBay right now. You'll note that they come with the old shell and blade which is cut from the car they came from. When you buy one, just open the shell (there's a small screw you'll need to remove) and remove the remote itself. Here are a few auctions on ebay with remotes that should work for your RX400h:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-RX330-RX350-RX400H-KEYLESS-KEY-REMOTE-ENTRY-FOB-OEM-HYQ12BBT-HYQ-12BBT-/120974446887?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2aa39127&vxp=mtr

And this one looks like the cheapest!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-RX330-RX350-RX400H-KEYLESS-KEY-REMOTE-ENTRY-FOB-OEM-used-/170902563338?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ca962a0a&vxp=mtr

So, with shipping, the new "shell" comes to about $61.90, you can get a remote for $35 and Lexus will charge $35 to program the remote. The total would come to $131.90 which is about $100 less than a new one would cost from the dealer.

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

cduluk- I'm in the middle of debadging/re-badging my 2008 RX400h and have been prowling the web for custom emblem designs. Not a lot out there, surprisingly. I really dig your continued effort to differentiate the hybrid model using blue elements -- and the blue-dyed printed circuit board background blew my mind. I was looking to fill the "L" emblem with a background that had a natural heterogeneity, even considered wood, but the printed circuit board is terrific. My goal will be to obtain a circuit board of sufficient size to "fill" my rear emblem (about 8 x 12 cm) and then prep it as you've done for your key project. I have a few questions for you though: 1) could you elaborate on the prepping and dying procedure for the circuit board? 2) did you cut the circuit board with a dremel wheel? 3) what do you think of this idea/any suggestions?

Looking forward to your reply-

• 1 month later...

cduluk- I'm in the middle of debadging/re-badging my 2008 RX400h and have been prowling the web for custom emblem designs. Not a lot out there, surprisingly. I really dig your continued effort to differentiate the hybrid model using blue elements -- and the blue-dyed printed circuit board background blew my mind. I was looking to fill the "L" emblem with a background that had a natural heterogeneity, even considered wood, but the printed circuit board is terrific. My goal will be to obtain a circuit board of sufficient size to "fill" my rear emblem (about 8 x 12 cm) and then prep it as you've done for your key project. I have a few questions for you though: 1) could you elaborate on the prepping and dying procedure for the circuit board? 2) did you cut the circuit board with a dremel wheel? 3) what do you think of this idea/any suggestions?

Looking forward to your reply-

Hi, sorry for the late (very late) reply!

I LOVE your idea!

I actually had a lot of trouble getting the circuit board to be blue. After sanding and polishing the thin "metal" inlays in the board, i super glued this blue "film" to the surface, in essence adding a transparent blue coating to it. The blue film was actually a blue-tinted chrome tape like material, about 1" in thickness by 2' long. It wouldn't work in your case due to size requirements. Maybe you could find a blue stained glass paint? I've used red stained glass paint to dye the wood trim in my car. They also make a blue! It's transparent, yet colored.

And i did cut the board with a dremel. The board i used was from a spare RX speedometer cluster ironically enough. It was very soft.

I'm not gonna lie, i LOVE your idea. You've got ME thinking!

• 9 months later...

Happy holidays Cduluk!!

It's terrific to see these threads come back to life again. As anyone can tell, your "Mr. Wizard" mind always gives others the excitment to go out and try something your self.

Also, as I read through the entire posting, I was amazed to see the number of members who we haven't heard from for over a year or more. If any of you reading this have a LOC friend, send them a holiday wish and invite them to join in the fun of talking about our favorite car(s).

Happy Holidays to all of our Lexus Owners Club friends.

Paul

hey.. bro.. how r u??? just wanted to know if you have thought about push start system??

Happy holidays Cduluk!!

It's terrific to see these threads come back to life again. As anyone can tell, your "Mr. Wizard" mind always gives others the excitment to go out and try something your self.

Also, as I read through the entire posting, I was amazed to see the number of members who we haven't heard from for over a year or more. If any of you reading this have a LOC friend, send them a holiday wish and invite them to join in the fun of talking about our favorite car(s).

Happy Holidays to all of our Lexus Owners Club friends.

Paul

Thanks guys! I'm doing well, very very busy unfortunately. I haven't had any time to do anything fun w/ my RX in a while... I can barely make time to fix the things that go wrong! A while back i did inquire about converting the turn key to a push button system (i started a thread about it on this forum somewhere) but none of my leads looked promising. Too much work...