Leather Car Seats

kuziwk

ok so i hope the picture will help make sense of this, there seems to be a much lighter of color on my seats were were so disgusting in front i had to use VIM bathroom cleaner to clean them. They turned out a darker color of tan with the blotchy white. I used regular leather cleaner on my back seats which were not that bad, it got them nice and clean with a brush but, they are the light creamy color, looking behind the back flip down armrest there is what looks to be the original color so is it possible the VIM bathroom cleaner took it down to the original color and these seats were painted or dyed?

The edge center of the seat is the original color i was talking about that i cleaned with a harsher cleaner, the tan shade is also the same as found in untouched leather parts such as behind the back armrest or in the seams, and the rest is a white residue/lighter color, looks like paint or dye or something, doesnt really match the rest of the car. Can i fix the seats with leather dye?

post-115215-127959264282_thumb.jpg

The areas can be dyed and blended, but i wouldn't do it yourself. Ask your Lexus dealer for the name of the company they hire to re-finish seats on their CPO's. Every dealer's got a guy. <_<

Sorry to disagree but I wouldn't ask a Lexus dealer for a lifeboat if I was on the Titanic. I have seen ads in Hot Rod, HMM, and Car & Driver for dyes. True, you have to know what you are doing but I'll bet if you look on YouTube someone has a video on leather dying. I learned to bowl from watching youtube and even rolled a 203.

I learned to bowl from watching youtube and even rolled a 203

:cheers:

Well, some are born naturals, but some need experience for dying leather and acceptable results. If you mess up (after watching the instructions on youtube), you don't get a 2nd chance on a 203. :lol:

Anyway, take it to a specialized shop unless you feel lucky.

I guess you really have to know the year of the car to make a good decision. I sure wouldn't spend big money to have the leather dyed on mine. Luckily, my leather is not faded much at all probably because it has always been kept in a garage.

I've used leather dyes before, it's not easy to do. It's taken me a LONG while and a lot of practice to get it down, and i wouldn't recommend anyone try it first time on their car seats. Maybe a shifter knob or steering wheel... but not on seats.

The people Lexus hire do a SUPERB job, it's warrantied, and it's not that expensive. Last spring i had the entire interior of my old Rx300 touched-up (i purchased the seats used, they needed work) and i had the guys my Lexus dealer use do it. They charged me $200 for the entire interior- Lexus wasn't involved at all, the guy came to my house to do it.

$200 couldn't buy you enough dye to do an entire interior unless you make ZERO mistakes. I've tried lacquer based dyes and water based, of the two i'd recommend (for a first time user) the water based as the latter doesn't come off if you make a mistake. :rolleyes:

well it turns out the white *BLEEP* on the seats i think was dye or something, i removed it with a green scouring pad and some carpet stain remover(prob not good for the leather). I than proceeded to use conditioner/cleaner (armer all leather stuff), and every other day i will use it. So far the seats look much better.

well it turns out the white *BLEEP* on the seats i think was dye or something, i removed it with a green scouring pad and some carpet stain remover(prob not good for the leather). I than proceeded to use conditioner/cleaner (armer all leather stuff), and every other day i will use it. So far the seats look much better.

Just to let you know, you are supposed to use a solution of 6:1, water:woolite to clean leather. There is a whole section on car care here in the LOC forum -> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=9