Transmission Oil In Rx350

I have 2010 RX350 and I noticed that tere is no transmission oil level stick to be found in the engine compartment.

I asked the "tech. advisor" at the dealership and he told me the transmission is sealed and there is no need for oil to be added for the life of the car...

I find that to be not a very logical answer.

Does anybody here know if there is a more logical answer to this question?

Thanks for your help.

I have 2010 RX350 and I noticed that tere is no transmission oil level stick to be found in the engine compartment.

I asked the "tech. advisor" at the dealership and he told me the transmission is sealed and there is no need for oil to be added for the life of the car...

Thanks for your help.

My BMW X5 is the same...supposed to be lifetime fluid? They have now started reccomending it be changed I think at 100k miles. They drop the pan and fill from under the car. I assume it would be the same on the new Lexus?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your help.

I wrote Lexus Canada and the aswer was: the car equiped with a WS type transmission fluid that doesn't need to be changed, but the dealer has ways of checking the fluid level during maintenence work.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/19/2010 at 11:40 AM, Dan.Mtl said:

Thanks for your help.

The tech is correct sort of. The transmission is filled with transmission fluid that would last about 150k or so before completely breaking down therefore many original owners would sell the RX350 before any major issue occur in theory hence the lifetime claim. However, the fluid should be changed before 100k miles to prevent the start of transmission failure for vehicles running more than 100k miles. The transmission also has a filter that needs changing as well after 100k miles.

So if you are going to trade the RX350 in at 100k miles or soon after then the fluid is lifetime and no change is necessary. However, If you buying a used high mileage RX350 with 60k miles or more; or keeping your current RX350 well past 150k miles then I would change the fluid ever 60k miles and the filter at 120k miles to reduce the change of a transmission failure.

The transmission has a drain plug,level plug and a fill plug or just a drain plug with level tube and fill plug. However, the level is determined by a level tube located over the level plug that only allow certain amount of fluid to drain out based on fluid temperature expansion.

The video shows how to it works on a seal transmission without dipstick. Similar to the RX350.

• 6 months later...

I'm new here, but I just purchased a 2015 RX that just had the 60k service done.  It included a trans  flush and fill.  Evidently it's now part of the 60k service.  Sounds reasonable to me.

• 3 years later...
On 7/19/2010 at 11:40 AM, Dan.Mtl said:

Thanks for your help.

There is a bolt on the RX350 transmission that also has a bleeder nut. On the 2013 RX350 transmission you must lift the vehicle, assuring that it is level, remove the right front tire to access the nut. Bleed a little fluid to check the color, black is bad. The transmission fluid and filter should be changed before 100,000 miles. I neglected mine until 145,000 miles and the 2nd gear syncro started to stick. My mechanic thought I might need a new transmission, luckily, after two flushes,  it started shifting properly.  The procedure for filling to the proper level involves, draining, filling then bleeding off the excess fluid with the bleeder nut. Once the fluid stops dripping out the bleeder nut it is correctly filled. There is no dipstick, because who needs a dipstick these days. Dipsticks are so retro. 

• 7 months later...

6 mos ago I bought a 2012 used RX 350 with high mileage. I am just curious after removing the orange level drain stick, the drained ATF is black and I got only about 750ml. Every time I drain and fill I got almost the same volume of atf drained. Is this normal? If it is not, what was wrong? The atf pan looked it has not been changed. Any ideas? Thanks.

When Lexus tell us that something will last the lifetime of a car it means the time, they would expect it to be costly for Lexus to repair because of warranty.

Most owners of new cars will get a new car before big problems come and when next owner of the car has problems It will be nice for Lexus to get some work for the people, they have working for them.

Nothing last forever and definitely will oil lose efficiency to keep moving parts lubricated. Oil that has been in transmission 100K miles will absolutely no longer be good as new.

The CT we have is no near that only about 90K km and when reaching 100 we will have it changed no matter if needed according to Lexus or not.

• 1 month later...

The Standard Service The Aisin -Toyota & Lexus Transmission Service Interval for Safe LongLife Transmission is as Follows;

To get longer life Only Replace with Synthetic ATF or WS ( World Specs) WS Provided by Toyota & Lexus non Synthetic. Or (1) One Year. You Be the Judge! Check YouTube. Automatic Transmission!

1-30,000 Miles

2-60,000 Miles

3-90,000 Miles

4-120,000 Miles

&  Standard Transmission it’s every. 60,000 miles Or 1 Year.

OLBOILexus